Can't Cancel Subscription RRS feed

• Question

• Try as I may I find I am unable to cancel my OneCare subscription.  After 7 attempts I am giving up and can only be grateful for the fact that my credit card has expired and therefore I cannot be charged for another year of service that I do not want.  The cancellation procedure is a joke as follows

1. Login with Windows Live ID
    2. Click the OneCare service option
    3. Click the Cancel my service link (and you would think this should be enough but no...)
    4. Brings up a stupid help window ala Office 2000
    5. Click the link For Windows Live OneCare, go to the Windows Live OneCare website.
    6. This pops up yet another window with yet another Cancel your OneCare subscription link
    7. Click it and get a message telling you to click the Get More Help link at the bottom of the page.
    8. Clicking it displays another page with a Get Support link
    9. Click it and you get to an another page where you can supply some contact details which the billing department should already have as well as submit a request to cancel the service (I'm sure I did this in step 4!).
    10. After waiting about 2 minutes while the system attempts the obviously immensly difficult step of generating a support request you are presented with:

Contact Billing Support

Error!

We apologize for the inconvenience. There was an error in the submission. Please try again later.

And here I am in the Help community because there doesn't seem to be any other way to notify anyone that the cancellation mechanism is both stupid and broken.

Just in case anyone is interested, I actually quite liked OneCare, however, it just drags down the performance of my machine too much and I have reverted to AVG and once again my machine purrs.

Andy

Sunday, January 27, 2008 4:47 PM

Answers

• Officially, to cancel your subscription you need to contact support. That can be done by following the instructions here - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If that fails for you, email me at sboots@mvps.org and tell me the country you are located in and put "OneCare" in the subject line. Put a link to this thread in the message body. Note that I can't cancel your account, so don't send me your account details. I will simply get you the connection you need.

-steve

Monday, January 28, 2008 3:23 AM

All replies

• I am in the same boat. I have contacting the credit card company to dispute the charge and I am contacting the Attorney General of the State of Washington to complain. They do not have the right to simply help themselves to a credit account - it isn't even my money it is the bank's. They want to tout their security as a means of keeping safe from hackers but act just as they do. They need to contact a subscriber by phone, mail or email to find out if they want the subscription to be renewed or not and save everbody a lot of aggravation and trouble. Those who cheer Microsoft as loyal supporters are as hated as Microsoft's attitude. Sorry I can't help with your problem except to suggest you do as I did.

Sunday, January 27, 2008 6:39 PM
  • Officially, to cancel your subscription you need to contact support. That can be done by following the instructions here - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If that fails for you, email me at sboots@mvps.org and tell me the country you are located in and put "OneCare" in the subject line. Put a link to this thread in the message body. Note that I can't cancel your account, so don't send me your account details. I will simply get you the connection you need.

-steve

Monday, January 28, 2008 3:23 AM
  • Same problem here, tried for over an hour.   You just run around in circles.  I have contacted the Iowa Attorney General consumer fraud division.

Thursday, March 6, 2008 11:16 AM
  • Support is the path to cancel a subscription. If you cannot call, you can contact support via email per the FAQ instructions and request cancellation of the account, but calling is the best path. If you are unable to cancel and have spoken to support, please provide your support case number here to have it investigated.

-steve

Saturday, March 8, 2008 3:14 AM
  • What, exactly is the phone number to call customer support?  I am tired of being directed in circles to simply cancel my suscription.
    Friday, December 25, 2009 2:30 AM
  • What, exactly is the phone number to call customer support?  I am tired of being directed in circles to simply cancel my suscription.

You do not need to cancel your subscription. OneCare cannot be renewed and is no longer being offered for sale.

See this post for End of Life information for Windows Live OneCare - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecaregeneral/thread/81996436-edad-41ba-bdfc-02fc094e2ca9

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 11:35 PM