Moving Office 2007 from one disk to another RRS feed

• Question

• I am running low on disk space on my C: drive but my D: drive is almost empty(both are 40 Gb). I would like to move my Office 2007 from C: to D:. What should the procedure be? it is vitally important I don't loose any of my emails that cover the past seven years and are all stored within Outlook. I am using Vista Home o/s
    Friday, January 7, 2011 8:08 PM

Answers

• "Philealing" wrote in message news:fd422c47-3540-4e2f-8394-61440d9e6e59...
    I am running low on disk space on my C: drive but my D: drive is almost empty(both are 40 Gb). I would like to move my Office 2007 from C: to D:. What should the procedure be? it is vitally important I don't loose any of my emails that cover the past seven years and are all stored within Outlook. I am using Vista Home o/s
    Not really a question for these forums - but....

Your best option is to move your complete My Documents folder and its contents to the 'empty' drive -
    Assuming you have Windows XP.....
    Open Windows Explorer. Click on the Up button until you see the 'My Documents ' folder
    right-click on the My Documents folder, and select Properties.
    You should be able to see the Target tab at the top - click on it, and it will show where the folder actually is.
    Click on the Move button on the location page - then direct it to the D: drive, and click on Make New Folder - call it Docs (or anything else you like)
    Click on OK
    answer Yes to the question whether you want to move all data, and wait for the file-copying/deletion to finish - it could take some time

That way you move a LOT more than just your Office installation, which could get snippy about being moved anyhow.

(MODS - feel free to move this thread to a more appropriate forum, as far as I'm concerned)

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Friday, January 7, 2011 8:56 PM
  • "Philealing" wrote in message news:accfb83e-644b-4d75-b27c-961704dd46ab...
    As mentioned..... I am using Windows Vista home edition

Woops! my bad!- same principle applies, almost to the letter.....

Click on Start - right-click on Documents, select Properties
    click on the Location tab
    click on Move - create  a new folder in the D drive (I suggest that you call it Documents to save confusion)
    click OK
    Accept the Yes to the prompt, and wait.

HTH - and sorry for my earlier blunder!

--

Friday, January 7, 2011 10:02 PM

All replies

• "Philealing" wrote in message news:fd422c47-3540-4e2f-8394-61440d9e6e59...
    I am running low on disk space on my C: drive but my D: drive is almost empty(both are 40 Gb). I would like to move my Office 2007 from C: to D:. What should the procedure be? it is vitally important I don't loose any of my emails that cover the past seven years and are all stored within Outlook. I am using Vista Home o/s
    Not really a question for these forums - but....

Your best option is to move your complete My Documents folder and its contents to the 'empty' drive -
    Assuming you have Windows XP.....
    Open Windows Explorer. Click on the Up button until you see the 'My Documents ' folder
    right-click on the My Documents folder, and select Properties.
    You should be able to see the Target tab at the top - click on it, and it will show where the folder actually is.
    Click on the Move button on the location page - then direct it to the D: drive, and click on Make New Folder - call it Docs (or anything else you like)
    Click on OK
    answer Yes to the question whether you want to move all data, and wait for the file-copying/deletion to finish - it could take some time

That way you move a LOT more than just your Office installation, which could get snippy about being moved anyhow.

(MODS - feel free to move this thread to a more appropriate forum, as far as I'm concerned)

--

Friday, January 7, 2011 8:56 PM
  • As mentioned..... I am using Windows Vista home edition
    Friday, January 7, 2011 9:54 PM
  • "Philealing" wrote in message news:accfb83e-644b-4d75-b27c-961704dd46ab...
    As mentioned..... I am using Windows Vista home edition

Woops! my bad!- same principle applies, almost to the letter.....

Click on Start - right-click on Documents, select Properties
    click on the Location tab
    click on Move - create  a new folder in the D drive (I suggest that you call it Documents to save confusion)
    click OK
    Accept the Yes to the prompt, and wait.

HTH - and sorry for my earlier blunder!

--

Friday, January 7, 2011 10:02 PM