Upgrade from Private Beta 3 to Public Beta RRS feed

• Question

• Hello folks,
               I currently have OCS Standard Edition Private Beta 3 version which I need to upgrade shortly to the Public Beta version. I would like to hear from folks who have done an upgrade in a similar situation. I read through the OCS docs which recommend the OCS 2007 SE servers to be built  on separate hardware alongside the existing Beta 3 deployment and then moving users from their current servers to the new server.

1) Any particular gotchas to look out for with the above upgrade path?

2) I am confused about the mediation server role. Is this a component available free of charge and part of the OCS Public Beta installation file? If yes,   can I have the mediation server component on the same hardware server as my OCS SE server? If the mediation server install is  a separate file, where can I download it?

Thank you for all help!

Thursday, April 5, 2007 8:00 PM

Answers

• Hello,

If you use the step by step upgrade path described in the OCS2007 beta 3 to Public Beta Migration document, you will be using the Microsoft supported method for the migration. Please follow the steps listed and you should not have any issues. The documentation states that for this migration that the used have to be removed from the OCS beta 3 SE sever prior to the removal of the OCS 2007 beta 3 server. The mediation server is part of the Public Beta install for OCS 2007 SE and EE. From the Deployment interface choose to Deploy other Servers followed by Deploy Mediation server.

Here's the TOC from the doc mentioned above

Step 1 Deploying Edge Servers 3
    Step 2 Prepare the Active Directory Forest 3
    Step 3 Deploying a Director 3
    Step 4 Migrating from a Beta 3 Standard Edition Server or Pool 5
    Step 4.1. Export User Data from Your Beta 3 Standard Edition Server or Pool 5
    Step 4.2 Remove User Data from Your Beta 3 Standard Edition Server or Pool 6
    Step 4.3 Remove Your Standard Edition Server or Enterprise Pool 7
    Step 4.4 Deploy a Public Beta Release of Standard Edition Server or Pool 12
    Step 4.5 Verify the User Replicator Has Completed 12
    Step 4.6 Reassign Users to Public Beta Release of Standard Edition Server or Enterprise Pool 13
    Step 4.7 Enable IP Video on Global Properties (optional) 14
    Step 4.8 Import User Data Back into the Public Beta Release of Standard Edition Server or Enterprise Pool 14
    Step 5 Deploying a Archiving and CDR Server Public Beta 15
    Step 6 Migrating Your Voice Settings 15

Thursday, April 5, 2007 11:28 PM

All replies

• Hello,

If you use the step by step upgrade path described in the OCS2007 beta 3 to Public Beta Migration document, you will be using the Microsoft supported method for the migration. Please follow the steps listed and you should not have any issues. The documentation states that for this migration that the used have to be removed from the OCS beta 3 SE sever prior to the removal of the OCS 2007 beta 3 server. The mediation server is part of the Public Beta install for OCS 2007 SE and EE. From the Deployment interface choose to Deploy other Servers followed by Deploy Mediation server.

Here's the TOC from the doc mentioned above

Step 1 Deploying Edge Servers 3
    Step 2 Prepare the Active Directory Forest 3
    Step 3 Deploying a Director 3
    Step 4 Migrating from a Beta 3 Standard Edition Server or Pool 5
    Step 4.1. Export User Data from Your Beta 3 Standard Edition Server or Pool 5
    Step 4.2 Remove User Data from Your Beta 3 Standard Edition Server or Pool 6
    Step 4.3 Remove Your Standard Edition Server or Enterprise Pool 7
    Step 4.4 Deploy a Public Beta Release of Standard Edition Server or Pool 12
    Step 4.5 Verify the User Replicator Has Completed 12
    Step 4.6 Reassign Users to Public Beta Release of Standard Edition Server or Enterprise Pool 13
    Step 4.7 Enable IP Video on Global Properties (optional) 14
    Step 4.8 Import User Data Back into the Public Beta Release of Standard Edition Server or Enterprise Pool 14
    Step 5 Deploying a Archiving and CDR Server Public Beta 15
    Step 6 Migrating Your Voice Settings 15

Thursday, April 5, 2007 11:28 PM
  • Hello,

I ran into an issue to day that ties into what you are trying to accomplish. The dbanalyze.exe command has been updated for OCS 2003. The beta3 to public beta documentation does not reflect this update as per the migration documantation. The dbanalyze command that is used to locate the OCS 2003 FE server that has the User Replicator service running on it should be entered like this.

c:\>dbanalyze /reportBig Smileiag /sqlserver<named instance of the SQL server>

The poolfqdn switch no longer exists fore dbanalyze

Friday, April 6, 2007 8:15 PM