Legalities of using/distributing music (Migrated from community.research.microsoft.com) RRS feed

• Question

• lewismoten posted on 02-03-2009 12:59 AM

Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:25 PM

Answers

• dmorris replied on 02-03-2009 12:30 PM

You 100% own whatever you make with Songsmith, and you don't have to attribute anything to Songsmith.

That's of course provided that whatever you sing into Songsmith is your own work... if you sing your favorite pop song into Songsmith, WE don't have any copyright concerns, but the original artist/publisher might, and the complexities of that scenario are beyond our expertise.

But if you just fire up Songsmith and sing your own lyrics and melody or create instrumental music, you 100% own what you make.

-Dan

All replies

• Notes_Norton replied on 02-03-2009 9:28 AM

I can't speak for Songsmith, because I am not affiliated with Microsoft in any way.

However I do sell add-on styles http://www.nortonmusic.com/styledemo.html and if you use any of my styles to make music, you don't owe me any royalty money. They are tools, and whatever you make with them is yours (of course, you still have to respect other people's copyrights).

Insights and incites by Notes

• dmorris replied on 02-03-2009 12:30 PM

You 100% own whatever you make with Songsmith, and you don't have to attribute anything to Songsmith.

That's of course provided that whatever you sing into Songsmith is your own work... if you sing your favorite pop song into Songsmith, WE don't have any copyright concerns, but the original artist/publisher might, and the complexities of that scenario are beyond our expertise.

But if you just fire up Songsmith and sing your own lyrics and melody or create instrumental music, you 100% own what you make.

-Dan