Networks with no dhcp active RRS feed

• Question

• If this product is for use at home, it should upon installation determinate if there is any DHCP server active from a router or whatever, and if not, start the install of the DHCP service.
    Friday, March 9, 2007 6:08 PM

All replies

• Since the target market for WHS is homes with multiple PCs and a permanent broadband connection to the Internet, I would expect that there is already a DHCP server on the network. If nothing else, the broadband router will almost certainly have that feature enabled. If such a household didn't have a DHCP server already, I would assume it was for a good reason, and would not want WHS to set one up.
    Friday, March 9, 2007 6:43 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Since the target market for WHS is homes with multiple PCs and a permanent broadband connection to the Internet, I would expect that there is already a DHCP server on the network. If nothing else, the broadband router will almost certainly have that feature enabled. If such a household didn't have a DHCP server already, I would assume it was for a good reason, and would not want WHS to set one up.

Although if WHS can identify an existing router, and setup its own on a secondary scope as a backup, should the primary go down, that would be helpful in allowing as much of the network as possible to continue to function in an outage.

But, other then that, a DHCP server in WHS would probably cause more headache then anything.

Friday, March 9, 2007 7:29 PM
  •  jeradc wrote:

Although if WHS can identify an existing router, and setup its own on a secondary scope as a backup, should the primary go down, that would be helpful in allowing as much of the network as possible to continue to function in an outage.

But, other then that, a DHCP server in WHS would probably cause more headache then anything.

I do not agree. If yo think of the typical topography of a home network, your router is also your switch, it would be useless to have a backup DHCP server if your router goes down and you have no means of network connectivity. Adding DHCP would be useless, and most people wouldnt know how to configure it any how.

Friday, March 9, 2007 7:33 PM
  •  gmay021 wrote:
     jeradc wrote:

I do not agree. If yo think of the typical topography of a home network, your router is also your switch, it would be useless to have a backup DHCP server if your router goes down and you have no means of network connectivity. Adding DHCP would be useless, and most people wouldnt know how to configure it any how.

I gave one possible scenario that having a dhcp *might* help, conceding the fact that it would be more of a headache then anything else. Also, I said WHS would have to setup it's own scope (i.e., no user intervention), so I already considered the fact that most people wouldn't know how to configure it.

Secondly, for anyone that has more then one switch on their network, this would allow them to use their media center, continue their backups, continue to work on their documents, etc.

But as I've already said/implied this feature would have a limited scope of usefullness.

Friday, March 9, 2007 7:45 PM
  • Having WHS run as a backup DHCP server would be limited in functionality at best, at worst it would difficult to setup and maintain. With most broadband connections these days, even if your connection goes down your cable modem, etc, still provides routing within the home if needed. Routers generally follow the same behaviour.
    Friday, March 9, 2007 8:57 PM
  • I was able to install DHCP and DNS on WHS.  I have 2 network printers plus another mutli-function device that works over the network.  I have been doing it all by IP, but once I got WHS running I put in a DNS entry named HP4Plus and that is much easier for me to remember long term.  I also did a DCPROMO on it and joined a couple of clients to the new domain and found it makes communication between the devices more reliable than just waiting on broadcasting.
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 6:17 PM