none
backing up HP MediaSmart Server EX475 - what works RRS feed

• Question

• I am curious to know what users are doing to backup and restore this device.  I recently gave up on trying to use two external 1TB USB drives (constant balancing, and other USB related grief) with this system, and therefore have these systems available to backup and store an image of the EX475 , if necessary.  My config has the two internal 500GB drives.  Specifics that I am looking for are as follows.

- what software application are you using for backup & restore. 

- how frequently are you backing, have you experienced any restore related issues (when doing individual files, or entire system) 

- since these systems have no CD drive, how are you able to load the restore application (presuming that the system is not bootable), bootable USB memory stick ??

- how does WHS view the external drives (which you are backing up to), I presume that they are not in the shared WHS storage pool.

- any other comments on what folks are doing to protect the system and user files stored on these devices.

Having been a BETA user, built my own system, and now using the HP device.  I have been through my share of rebuilds, writing to DVD's and all sorts of other restorative actions.  I am looking forwards to hearing from someone that has found a better way of addressing this issue. 

kindest regards

brianb

Sunday, August 17, 2008 5:09 PM

Answers

• thanks for your response.  Very helpful.

brianb

Sunday, August 17, 2008 9:36 PM
  • finally got some time to connect one of the two 1TB ext USB drives, for use as a WHS backup destination.  Colin Hodgson's explaination was very straightforwards in the limitations of using the native backup functionality (it only backs up share folder content, none of the system files).

All in all the setup was simple, and currently waiting for 138GB to be backed up.  Will then exercise the restore capability.  Also if anyone else knows of a way to backup the entire system (system files + content), then I am all ears.

I will also raise the request with my employer (Symantec), as we know a thing or two about backing up and restoring data.

thanks

brianb

bmb
    • Marked as answer by bbrotschi Friday, October 24, 2008 11:47 PM
    Friday, October 24, 2008 11:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The instructions provided with the HP unit explains exactly how to do both a server recovery, and a server re-installation from a connected Client.

There is no software available to backup a WHS as they don't recognize the folder systems. That is, they cannot tell the difference between a tombstone and the actual file, so are as likely to backup the pointer rather than the data, which would be useless.

If you have the recent Power Pack installed, which you should have by now, then your external drives can be used  to back up your Shared Folders. When you attach them to the server, and choose Add from the Server Storage tab, you will be presented with two options, Add to Storage Pool, or Add as Server Backup Target. Selecting the second, allows you then to backup the server from the Computers & Backups tab. 

This page has plenty of information on the internal operations of WHS.

Colin

Sunday, August 17, 2008 5:28 PM
  • thanks for your response.  Very helpful.

brianb

Sunday, August 17, 2008 9:36 PM
  • finally got some time to connect one of the two 1TB ext USB drives, for use as a WHS backup destination.  Colin Hodgson's explaination was very straightforwards in the limitations of using the native backup functionality (it only backs up share folder content, none of the system files).

All in all the setup was simple, and currently waiting for 138GB to be backed up.  Will then exercise the restore capability.  Also if anyone else knows of a way to backup the entire system (system files + content), then I am all ears.

I will also raise the request with my employer (Symantec), as we know a thing or two about backing up and restoring data.

thanks

brianb

bmb
    • Marked as answer by bbrotschi Friday, October 24, 2008 11:47 PM
    Friday, October 24, 2008 11:46 PM
  • Currently there is no way you can backup the system drive.  It stores tombstones there..  so if you copy stuff to the WHS, but later revert to older backup of your system drive, the tombstones of what you copied won't be there.  If I can explain this clearly.  A server reinstallation is the way to go if your system drive ever fails.  Then you just setup your users and addons again.  It's really not a painful task.
    athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 9 drives totaling about 3.5 tbs.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 12:39 PM
  • Personally, I would love to see some ISV come out with a complete backup solution for Windows Home Server. Not because I need it (I'm actually happy with the reinstallation route, even though it takes a while), but because many people really want to be able to do this.

Brian, can you contact me in email? My email address can be derived from my profile here.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 2:29 PM