none
Is the data transfer from Client to Server compressed ? RRS feed

• Question

• Using the default SQL Syncprovider - is the data being sent/received when syncing compressed by default ?
    Monday, May 9, 2011 9:30 AM

Answers

• nope. but its using DataSetSurrogate/byte array instead of Dataset XML serialization.
    • Marked as answer by Montago Monday, May 9, 2011 4:50 PM
    Monday, May 9, 2011 1:45 PM
  • yes, you should be able to do some compression. you can take a look a the sample here: http://synccomm.codeplex.com/

although its using the older offline provider, the approach can be adopted for the newer SqlSyncProvider.

I dont think the Sync Fx v4 CTP has anything around compression as the core focus of that release is more on providing client support to Silverlight, WP7, etc...

Monday, May 9, 2011 2:14 PM

All replies

• nope. but its using DataSetSurrogate/byte array instead of Dataset XML serialization.
    Monday, May 9, 2011 1:45 PM
  • So... there is room for a stream-compressor like GZip ?

at least its not using XML for bloating... thats good !

Are there plans for automatic/choosable compression in version 4 ?

would be nice for HUGE database synchronizations ... in the order of gigabytes...

Currently I've optimized some syncs, to use filtering, to reduce the size of data - but with Compression i could take all data instead.

Monday, May 9, 2011 1:51 PM
  • yes, you should be able to do some compression. you can take a look a the sample here: http://synccomm.codeplex.com/

although its using the older offline provider, the approach can be adopted for the newer SqlSyncProvider.

I dont think the Sync Fx v4 CTP has anything around compression as the core focus of that release is more on providing client support to Silverlight, WP7, etc...

Monday, May 9, 2011 2:14 PM