How to display the closed call/put option positions in Microsoft Money? RRS feed

• Question

• First of all, is anyone still using Microsoft Money?  :-). If you are, I hope you can help me.

I have traded stock options in my investment account.  However, after the call/put position is closed, it disappears from the Portfolio Manager view after a while even though I've enabled the "Show closed positions" setting.  This is not a problem for stock trades.  I think this also affects the overall gain and loss calculation.  Is there any way to force the closed option trades to show up?

Appreciate your insight.

Saturday, August 15, 2020 11:02 PM

All replies

• I've noticed the same thing as you but unfortunately I dont have an answer or a fix.

To use an example, the "Investment" of PFE 20200619 $37.00 PUT itself disappears around ~60 days after it expires, but I just checked old option trades I made like 10 years ago and the trades themselves are still there.

I think the mechanism that MS Money uses for options "mostly works", but some of the more detailed things dont.

I made a post back in June where I noticed that the money you make from selling puts and calls doesn't show up as "Income" when those options expire worthless:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7343dd0e-c7ce-4738-b678-b47f8f9f0506/expired-put-and-call-options-not-showing-up-as-investment-income?forum=money

By the way, how do you handle when you sell a Put and are assigned shares? I usually have one transaction where I expire the Put and a 2nd transaction where I buy 100 shares of PFE (or whatever) at whatever the strike price was.

Sunday, August 16, 2020 3:50 AM
  • Thanks for your response.  i did the same when my options got assigned.
    Monday, August 17, 2020 3:04 AM