Misreporting Storage Size/System Size After Power Outage/Chkdisk RRS feed

• Question

• Last night I accidentally yanked the power cord from my new WHS (it's not in it's safe permanent home yet).

Upon restarting, it ran through the chkdsk process -- this was around 9:20pm. I woke up around 3:30am and noticed it was up and running and backing up some systems (which succeeded).

This morning, when I reviewed the system I noticed a few issues:

- The Total Size is now showing 5TB of total space (was 5.5TB -- 1TB, 1TB, 1.5TB, 2TB disks)
    - The "System" space is now reporting 399GB (or the difference between old/new total size)
    - The event log shows (System) shows multiple entries of 2 different events during chkdisk:
         * Event ID 7: "The device, \Device\Harddisk2, has a bad block"
         * Event ID 55: "The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume \\?\Volume{e7ae7b9d-12cf-11df-ac8f-0025117277eb}."

Then there are no messages again until it apparently started the OS around 2:30am...

- The Application event log @2:38AM shows Event ID 1001, source "winlogon":
         * "Checking file system on \\?\Volume{e7ae7b9d-12cf-11df-ac8f-0025117277eb}
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Volume label is DATA."

There are no further error messages since boot and as far as I can tell, the data is all there and OK and all disks show as "Healthy."

How can I tell which disk is "Harddisk2" and what should I do next? Should I remove/re-add that disk (or replace it?) to try and reclaim the lost space? Is there something more serious I need to do?

Thanks!

-Patrick

Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:50 PM

Answers

• If you have different drives then look you can tell which is HardDisk2 by looking at the label on the disc and comparing it to the description in WHS Disk Management:

http://www.tentaclesoftware.com/whsdiskmanagement/

If you select Details for that disc it might actually give you the serial number to help you out in detecting which disk it is if you are using more than one drive of the same type.

You should remove the disk and test it - possibly sending it back for RMA with the drive manf if still in warranty.  I would be cautious of adding back to the system unless it went through some probation period in use on another machine or if you don't particularly need the data on your home server.  Though you might be protected with drive duplication you will be in the mud if a second drive fails on you whilst you are 'testing' this drive.  Some people might say it was all due to yanking the power out but I would rather be over cautious than say all that data loss was due to a power down.  At the end of the day it's up to you.

--
    • Proposed as answer by Al West Friday, February 12, 2010 12:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Friday, February 12, 2010 12:59 AM
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 5:02 PM

All replies

• Is this an own built system or a Retail Windows Home Server?  If it's a Retail unit please give the Make and Model.

--
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:38 PM
  • This is a home-built system.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:41 PM
  • If you have different drives then look you can tell which is HardDisk2 by looking at the label on the disc and comparing it to the description in WHS Disk Management:

http://www.tentaclesoftware.com/whsdiskmanagement/

If you select Details for that disc it might actually give you the serial number to help you out in detecting which disk it is if you are using more than one drive of the same type.

You should remove the disk and test it - possibly sending it back for RMA with the drive manf if still in warranty.  I would be cautious of adding back to the system unless it went through some probation period in use on another machine or if you don't particularly need the data on your home server.  Though you might be protected with drive duplication you will be in the mud if a second drive fails on you whilst you are 'testing' this drive.  Some people might say it was all due to yanking the power out but I would rather be over cautious than say all that data loss was due to a power down.  At the end of the day it's up to you.

--
    • Proposed as answer by Al West Friday, February 12, 2010 12:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Friday, February 12, 2010 12:59 AM
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 5:02 PM
  • Thanks for your advice.

So I added (2) 1TB drives I had been planning on adding anyway, added them to the WHS, and then did a remove of the 1.5TB. It took all night, but the drive removed successfully and -- woo-hoo -- the problem was gone...I was back to 30GB of "System" space and the other metrics appeared correct. For a few hours I ran like this and all appeared right with the world again.

There were a few "file conflicts" reported, so I logged off and rebooted the systems connected to WHS and then rebooted WHS itself.

This is where my troubles began anew -- it wanted to perform a chkdsk upon reboot and reported a number of "Insufficient disk space to repair" messages. Now, the console won't start and there are corrupt files everywhere. I'm afraid I'm probably going to have to re-install and restore all of my files (thankfully, all the vital stuff is backed up multiple places, though I've got almost 150 DVDs that I'll need to re-rip!).

I'm running chkdsk on the entire array right now and expect that to take nearly forever...my question is: is there anything that can be (or should be) done to try and salvage the installation? At this point, I don't know that I'd trust the music/videos/photos on there to be "good" anyway, so I'm probably going to wipe those...however it would be a huge timesaver if I could at least get the DVDs back.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

-Patrick
    Friday, February 12, 2010 3:58 PM