Changing Motherboard While under Vista H P Help PLZ RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all hope you can help! Have just recently upgraded to vista home premium and was hoping to upgrade the pc's performance further but have come accross a few obstacles. Firstly the motherboard accepts DDR RAM which is quite expensive and also has an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Socket 939 processor. I have now had the idea that if i change the motherboard to one with DDR2 and Socket AM2 i will get far better performance and compatibility with the RAM and Processor that I would like.

Now for the QUESTION..... What happens with Vista and how do I solve any conflicts with software keys etc? 

CHEERS

Chris

Monday, January 21, 2008 3:50 PM

Answers

•  ChrisXPnewbie wrote:

I have upgraded to vista already but i am not sure what will happen when i put it all back together with a NEW motherboard, processor and ram. Will i get the invalid key prompt or more worrying problems as vista will think i have just put the hard drive in a different pc won't it???? cheers

You will, most likely, be required to re-activate. You will need to Reactivate by Phone and talk to a live Activation Rep.

When you change out a Motherboard, in Microsoft's eyes, you have a new computer. A retail Vista Upgrade has the same licanse as a retail Vista Full version in that both can be moved from one computer to a new computer, as long as it is only installed on one computer at a time. On the other hand, OEM Vista is only licensed for one computer.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, January 21, 2008 10:55 PM

All replies

• ChrisXPnewbie,

If you purchased an OEM license for Vista, it is not transferrable to the new motherboard and processor, so you'll have to get another copy of Vista.

If you bought Vista in the fancy curved clear plastic box, you have a retail license for Vista, you can transfer it to the new motherboard and processor.

Monday, January 21, 2008 3:57 PM
  • Thankyou for your speedy reply Dan, yes i bought the fancy plastic box UPGRADE assuming this is still ok how do i do about transfering the licence? I presume i will need to speak to someone at microsoft or is there an easier way? Cheers Chris

Monday, January 21, 2008 4:38 PM
  • ChrisXPnewbie,

Install a Genuine qualifying Windows operating system onto the newly assembled computer, then insert the Vista Upgrade DVD and Setup will take it from there.

An Upgrade license requires that you first have an installed OS, which you will then Upgrade to Vista.

Monday, January 21, 2008 4:51 PM
  • I have upgraded to vista already but i am not sure what will happen when i put it all back together with a NEW motherboard, processor and ram. Will i get the invalid key prompt or more worrying problems as vista will think i have just put the hard drive in a different pc won't it???? cheers

Monday, January 21, 2008 4:56 PM
  • anyone?

Monday, January 21, 2008 10:06 PM
  •  ChrisXPnewbie wrote:

I have upgraded to vista already but i am not sure what will happen when i put it all back together with a NEW motherboard, processor and ram. Will i get the invalid key prompt or more worrying problems as vista will think i have just put the hard drive in a different pc won't it???? cheers

You will, most likely, be required to re-activate. You will need to Reactivate by Phone and talk to a live Activation Rep.

When you change out a Motherboard, in Microsoft's eyes, you have a new computer. A retail Vista Upgrade has the same licanse as a retail Vista Full version in that both can be moved from one computer to a new computer, as long as it is only installed on one computer at a time. On the other hand, OEM Vista is only licensed for one computer.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, January 21, 2008 10:55 PM
  • I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your excellent advice and assistance with my problem. what a great service you are providing!!! Thankyou, Chris

Monday, January 21, 2008 11:12 PM