Windows Home Server System drive shows as Missing and RRS feed

• Question

• HELP! Cannot connect to WHS Consile from networked computers and when I am logged into the WHS as Administrator and try to open the Console there I get the error window: Windows Home Server Backup service is not running.

Sometimes it will open the console and shows Network Health Critical tab. When I click on that tab it tells me the Windows Home Server Backup service is not running and ALL of my shares have conflicts!

Then on the Computer Backups tab, I click on the WHS backup to attempt a retrore from backup, it quits without any errors or pop up windows.  The Console window just disappears!

Server Storage tab shows the System hard drive with Windows flag above it with Status: Missing AND it also is showing above with SAME hard drive name as a Non Storage Hard Drive with Status: Not Added at the same time!

I tried to add the hard drive but it of course tells me it cannot because the drive is in use.

What do I do now?

Thanks for your help!
    Monday, January 18, 2010 9:12 AM

Answers

• If the system disk jumped out of the storage pool, it is usually caused by a serious disk failure.
    If you can logon locally or via Remote Desktop, you can try to check drive D: following the FAQ How to check all the drives in your server for errors (the line for drive D: would be sufficient).
    If this fails, I would recommend to get a new disk and attempt a server reinstallation as described in the FAQ FAQ: How do I upgrade from the evaluation/trial to a full copy of WHS?. If your WHS is a OEM machine, you may have to follow the guide in the manual of that machine.
    If you do not get the option as well or if after the server reinstall still data is missing, which may still be on the former D: drive, you can access your data by following the guide in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.
    Good luck
    Olaf
    Monday, January 18, 2010 9:23 AM
  • In addition to a storage failure, cloning your system drive can cause this problem.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 18, 2010 3:29 PM

All replies

• If the system disk jumped out of the storage pool, it is usually caused by a serious disk failure.
    If you can logon locally or via Remote Desktop, you can try to check drive D: following the FAQ How to check all the drives in your server for errors (the line for drive D: would be sufficient).
    If this fails, I would recommend to get a new disk and attempt a server reinstallation as described in the FAQ FAQ: How do I upgrade from the evaluation/trial to a full copy of WHS?. If your WHS is a OEM machine, you may have to follow the guide in the manual of that machine.
    If you do not get the option as well or if after the server reinstall still data is missing, which may still be on the former D: drive, you can access your data by following the guide in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.
    Good luck
    Olaf
    Monday, January 18, 2010 9:23 AM
  • In addition to a storage failure, cloning your system drive can cause this problem.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 18, 2010 3:29 PM