Drive missing but functional. Restore possible? RRS feed

• Question

• Long story short: older motherboard had some trouble intermittently recognizing a new 2 TB hard drive that was being used for server storage. Reflashed the bios and got it to boot fine, but then WHS reported the drive missing. However, I saw it listed in non-storage drives.

Tried accessing the partition directly, but no data shows and it appears as only 32.7 MB.

Tried adding the drive to server storage and it, predictably, is empty.

Any possible way to recover this data? I baked up everything (including OS) except the data that was apparently all on this one drive.

Sunday, June 13, 2010 8:39 PM

Answers

• If you add a non-storage drive to server storage, it will be wiped. So if you take a drive that's not being recognized as part of server storage that should be and add it back to server storage, I would think it will also get wiped. Ergo, your data is gone. Probably it was lost as a result of the intermittent issues you were having before you flashed your BIOS, but there may be no way to tell now.

The 32 MB discovery partition is normal; Drive Extender creates it when the drive is initially added to server storage.

Could you please submit a bug for this on Connect? Include as much detail as you can, and be sure to include server logs collected using the Vail log collector tool.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by RMSSF Monday, June 14, 2010 1:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Tuesday, June 22, 2010 3:51 PM
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 10:57 PM

All replies

• Let me ask another question. When I look at the partition in another OS such as Linux, GParted and FDisk show it as a 2 TB partition but if I mount it it shows up as 32 MB. Is there any way to get this data off?
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 10:03 PM
  • If you add a non-storage drive to server storage, it will be wiped. So if you take a drive that's not being recognized as part of server storage that should be and add it back to server storage, I would think it will also get wiped. Ergo, your data is gone. Probably it was lost as a result of the intermittent issues you were having before you flashed your BIOS, but there may be no way to tell now.

The 32 MB discovery partition is normal; Drive Extender creates it when the drive is initially added to server storage.

Could you please submit a bug for this on Connect? Include as much detail as you can, and be sure to include server logs collected using the Vail log collector tool.

• Proposed as answer by RMSSF Monday, June 14, 2010 1:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Tuesday, June 22, 2010 3:51 PM
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 10:57 PM
  • Tried adding the drive to server storage and it, predictably, is empty.

I think the first real world example of the "cons" of DE v2 compared to v1, no tools or choices yet, either from Microsoft or third party, to try to recover the data in such scenarios like this one.

But if I undertand what you have said, you already have added that drive to the storage pool in the hope that you would have access to your data again. If it is the case, with that you probably have lost already any chance to recover that data.

It could happen that the drive was not beeing recognised in WHS due to different bios settings that have been reset or changed when the bios was reflashed, either to the same or a different version, e.g. drive geometry.

There was also the chance of WHS to recognise the drive again if you have made a backup of your bios before reflashing it, or if you could find at your motherboard's manufacturer site the previous version of the bios that you have replaced.

Rui

Monday, June 14, 2010 1:34 AM
  • I had a similar problem with DEv1, where WHS "dropped" a drive (1 of 7) from the drive pool (not sure what happened). I was able simply copy the files from the drive (not part of the drive pool) over to the correct WHS shares. After that was done, I (re)added it to the drive pool. Two comments:

1. I don't think this would have been possible with DEv2 (and I can't test it, since I don't know how to reproduce a scenario like johnnythan's or mine).

2. Once johnnythan (re)added the drive to the WHS drive pool, he eliminated any possibility of file recovery.

--Doug

Monday, June 14, 2010 1:08 PM
  • I had a similar problem with DEv1, where WHS "dropped" a drive (1 of 7) from the drive pool (not sure what happened). I was able simply copy the files from the drive (not part of the drive pool) over to the correct WHS shares. After that was done, I (re)added it to the drive pool. Two comments:

1. I don't think this would have been possible with DEv2 (and I can't test it, since I don't know how to reproduce a scenario like johnnythan's or mine).

2. Once johnnythan (re)added the drive to the WHS drive pool, he eliminated any possibility of file recovery.

--Doug

At present, no it's not possible to read a DEv2 drive on a non-Vail computer. You might want to vote this product suggestion up if you feel it's important.
    Monday, June 14, 2010 1:44 PM
  • I didn't have to put the drive in another computer - after the drive was "dropped" from the storage pool it was still accessible from the WHS desktop (as an un-added drive).
    Monday, June 14, 2010 4:01 PM

--Doug

At present, no it's not possible to read a DEv2 drive on a non-Vail computer. You might want to vote this product suggestion up if you feel it's important.
    Is it possible to read a DEv2 drive in a different Vail installation?
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 1:56 AM
  • Yes. You would take the drive (or drives) from one Vail installation and connect them to another Vail installation. They'll show up as "non default storage", and will mount to a folder on your server's C: drive. In your case, though, I doubt there's anything you will be able to do; you've already added the drive to your rebuilt server's storage.
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 2:42 AM