Windows 7 Support RRS feed

• Question

• When will Windows 7 be supported by OneCare?  I just installed Windows 7 Build 7100 (RC1) on my computer and tried to install OneCare and was informed that my operating system is not supported.  I know that Windows 7 is not released to manufacturing yet, but I do not like to leave my systems unprotected.
    Michael Rockwell
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 1:55 PM

Answers

• Never. See the announcement at the top of the forum.

Unfortunately, since it was announced last November that OneCare was being killed, development efforts on OneCare have been reduced to transitioning it to end of life, fixing any major defect uncovered, and supportng the environment. Firewall rules and malware signatures will continue to be updated, but the program is no longer going to be changed.
    If you choose to run Windows 7, you'll need to seek an alternative as Morro, the free antimalware product that will be offered to OneCare users as their subscriptions expire after the latter part of 2009 (if your subscription expires in 2010, it will continue to be fully supported, by the way), has not yet seen the light of day as even a beta. Morro is expected to support XP, Vista, and Windows 7.
    I'm running Avast on my Windows 7 beta (not yet tried the RC yet, but it should work). I tried AVG and it made the original beta too unstable.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 2:59 PM