How does backup treat junction points ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a vista machine (home premium) that has two HDDs, c: and d:
    I have created a junction point directory using the "mklink /j" command from drive c: (ex. c:\data\mydata) to point to a folder in drive d: (d:\newdata\) that has plenty of space for that purpose.

My WHS is instructed to backup only the c: drive so my question is when WHS will reach the directory c:\data\mydata\ will it automatically backup the correct contents that points to d:\newdata from the junction link ?

The logic says yes on this so i wanted to check this so i opened a backup from WHS console and tried to browse the c:\data\mydata\ folder but i got an error when i tried to view files on that directory only...is this normal ? will i have a problem with junction links on the restore ?

thank you
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 10:04 AM

Answers

• A junction point should be treated like any other file (Windows Home Server doesn't back up files per se, but rather used clusters on disk), so if you don't back up and restore your D: partition, the data on that partition certainly won't be available after a restore. And you will not be able to browse to that data in a backup whether you back up D: or not, because it's a separate partition that's backed up and single file restore only opens a single partition's backup.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:01 PM

All replies

• A junction point should be treated like any other file (Windows Home Server doesn't back up files per se, but rather used clusters on disk), so if you don't back up and restore your D: partition, the data on that partition certainly won't be available after a restore. And you will not be able to browse to that data in a backup whether you back up D: or not, because it's a separate partition that's backed up and single file restore only opens a single partition's backup.
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:01 PM
  • So if i don't include the d:\newdata\ directory as well in the backup then my files will never be restored from that directory in case a need to restore ?

Will this affect the restoration of the PC in general ?
    Lets say that i loose the HDD and i need to make a restore. The restore starts it reaches the point of the junction link and then it will display an error that the files on that directory will not be restored and then will continue with the restoration of the rest of the PC right ? Its a banch of .jpg files of a download program so there are not critical for any application...i assume the restore will continue and complete but with warnings and everything will work as normal ?

thanks
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:09 PM
  • My general recommendation is to avoid the use of junction points, mount points, etc. in the home. They complicate and confuse far too easily.

In the case of restoring your C: partition as it stands today, the junction point itself will be restored, and no warnings will be generated (because it's just data on disk, as far as Windows Home Server is concerned). The contents of the junction point (which are not on the C: partition) will not be restored. If you want the contents restored, you have to back up and restore the partition that the junction point connects to.

Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:14 PM
  • Thank you Ken, its quite clear now.
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:17 PM