Restoring RAID to single HDD RRS feed

• Question

• I have a question about the restore process.  Once of my PC's is running 2 - 250GB drives in a mirrored RAID.  I have had nothing but problems with the lousy NVRAID drivers from nVidia, so I want to replace the array with a single 500GB drive.  Does anyone see any issues with removing the 2 RAID drives and doing a restore from WHS to the new 500GB drive?

I have my PC setup just like I want it now, but I'm tired of NVRAID and I need more disk space. 

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 3:31 PM

Answers

• I think as long as the drive you're restoring to is at least as large as the visible size of the array you're restoring from, you should be able to do the restore. Where you could conceivably have a problem is drivers. Going from RAID drivers to regular storage controller drivers might be doable, but it might also end in disaster. (Going the other way would never work.)

Probably the safest thing is to wipe the drive, reinstall the OS (which will get you the right drivers), and restore loose files (documents, photos, etc.).
    Tuesday, July 31, 2007 5:41 PM

All replies

• I think as long as the drive you're restoring to is at least as large as the visible size of the array you're restoring from, you should be able to do the restore. Where you could conceivably have a problem is drivers. Going from RAID drivers to regular storage controller drivers might be doable, but it might also end in disaster. (Going the other way would never work.)

Probably the safest thing is to wipe the drive, reinstall the OS (which will get you the right drivers), and restore loose files (documents, photos, etc.).
    Tuesday, July 31, 2007 5:41 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    I think as long as the drive you're restoring to is at least as large as the visible size of the array you're restoring from, you should be able to do the restore. Where you could conceivably have a problem is drivers. Going from RAID drivers to regular storage controller drivers might be doable, but it might also end in disaster. (Going the other way would never work.)

Alternatively, he could use something like Norton Ghost to image the current install and reinstall on any size drive that's big enough to hold the data.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 7:45 PM
  • Which would have the same potential driver issues I already mentioned...
    Tuesday, July 31, 2007 7:51 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Which would have the same potential driver issues I already mentioned...

Absolutely, but it solves the "drive must be bigger" issue. Wink

There was another thread where a member replaced 40G drive with another 40G drive but since the geometry was different, it failed. The same thing could happen replacing his array with a 500G drive and a ghost image would allow recovery. Worse case scenario is he has to rebuild the array and restore the original from WHS/Ghost or do a clean install but it's worth trying to image.
    Tuesday, July 31, 2007 8:02 PM
  • Thanks guys.  I'm going to go ahead and try it with the expectation that it probably won't work and I'll end up reloading the drive due to the driver problems.  If it works than it's a bonus.  I have lots of backups so it would just be more of an inconvenience than anything.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 3:52 PM
  • Well, over the weekend I did it.  I pulled out the 2 - 250GB RAID(mirror) array and replaced it with a 500GB single drive.  I booted from the restore CD and performed the restore.  The machine booted, updated the storage driver automatically, and rebooted again.  Everything is just as it was before except now it's on the 500GB drive.  The restore worked perfectly!!!  I was shocked at how easy the whole process was from start to finish.

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 3:34 PM
  • Buzz- Based on your success, I am going to try the same type of restore from two 80gb WD raptors (RAID 0) to a single 250gb drive. Just out of curiosity, did you have to reactiviate MS (office) or Adobe software after your restore? I have had re-activation problems doing restores using Acronis True Image software. Thanks.

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 10:08 PM