"Best Practice" for setting up WHS on SCSI RAID System RRS feed

• Question

• I am building hardware to load WHS on to. The disks I plan to use are SCSI Ultra 320 that use an Adaptec 29320 RAID card. I has the capability of doing RAID 0,1 and 10. My question is  what is the best way to install WHS on this hardware. Should I create a single JBOD disk for the operating system and then create a RAID 10 for the file server portion? Even if I used SATA drives instead, should I use a single disk for the OS and add more in for my data storage?

Does anyone know if WHS supports RAID on it's own?

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 6:57 PM

Answers

• Dennis,

It sounds as though a read-through of the WHS Documents might be in order. Essentially though, WHS does not recognise a Raid system and Microsoft specifically do not support such a system. In fact, they advise against it, even though some people have managed to get such a system up and running.

The WHS software cannot be set up on one disk, with the intention to use other disks as data stores.

It formats and uses the first bootable disk it sees as a 20GB system space with the balance being a data space where files going into the system are 'landed' prior to being moved to their final destination by it's own algorithm.

WHS can use any combination of SATA and IDE disks of any size - within reason -, with the first system disk being the largest available disk at the time of building.

As I say, have a read of the papers. I'm sure there will be more questions afterwards, but there are plenty of people here to help.

Colin 

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 7:11 PM
  • You've already been given a great answer by Colin, but I want to add that as he stated, MS does not support WHS on a RAID system and indeed, they do state it is not supported. As such, they can, and will refuse to help if a problem occurs. So, only do this if you really really know what you are doing.

Otherwise, set the disks up as JBOD and use the largest disk as your system/data drive and the rest as data drives.

Dennis Tcheck wrote:

I am building hardware to load WHS on to. The disks I plan to use are SCSI Ultra 320 that use an Adaptec 29320 RAID card. I has the capability of doing RAID 0,1 and 10. My question is  what is the best way to install WHS on this hardware. Should I create a single JBOD disk for the operating system and then create a RAID 10 for the file server portion? Even if I used SATA drives instead, should I use a single disk for the OS and add more in for my data storage?

Thursday, July 3, 2008 12:09 AM

All replies

• Dennis,

It sounds as though a read-through of the WHS Documents might be in order. Essentially though, WHS does not recognise a Raid system and Microsoft specifically do not support such a system. In fact, they advise against it, even though some people have managed to get such a system up and running.

The WHS software cannot be set up on one disk, with the intention to use other disks as data stores.

It formats and uses the first bootable disk it sees as a 20GB system space with the balance being a data space where files going into the system are 'landed' prior to being moved to their final destination by it's own algorithm.

WHS can use any combination of SATA and IDE disks of any size - within reason -, with the first system disk being the largest available disk at the time of building.

As I say, have a read of the papers. I'm sure there will be more questions afterwards, but there are plenty of people here to help.

Colin 

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 7:11 PM
  • You've already been given a great answer by Colin, but I want to add that as he stated, MS does not support WHS on a RAID system and indeed, they do state it is not supported. As such, they can, and will refuse to help if a problem occurs. So, only do this if you really really know what you are doing.

Otherwise, set the disks up as JBOD and use the largest disk as your system/data drive and the rest as data drives.

Dennis Tcheck wrote:

I am building hardware to load WHS on to. The disks I plan to use are SCSI Ultra 320 that use an Adaptec 29320 RAID card. I has the capability of doing RAID 0,1 and 10. My question is  what is the best way to install WHS on this hardware. Should I create a single JBOD disk for the operating system and then create a RAID 10 for the file server portion? Even if I used SATA drives instead, should I use a single disk for the OS and add more in for my data storage?

Thursday, July 3, 2008 12:09 AM