BSOD Stop Error 7B when trying to install WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello
    Just got new ZT Systems 7332Ma pc. Has AMD Phenom™ II X4 Processor 945 (3.0GHz) , AMD 780V / SB700 chipset, 8GB RAM, 1TB SATA HD. When I try to install WHS, after the first reboot I keep getting the BSOD Stop Error 7B. From my research it appears that error 7B is related to the hard drive, however, the hard drive was detected during the setup, so I thought that I didn't need to load any additional drivers. Has anyone had or seen this problem and does anyone know how I can fix it? Thanks.
    Saturday, October 3, 2009 5:22 AM

Answers

• You will need to load the drivers again during the blue screen stage of setup (feed them via floppy drive, while the system asks for pressing F6 to add more storage drivers). Background is, that the Windows Server 2003 system is not equipped with SATA drivers and the first stage of setup, which uses Vista drivers, cannot copy proper drivers to the disk.
    Other than that, you can also change the mode of your SATA controller in the Bios to IDE (ATA/PATA) instead of RAID or AHCI, in this case no additional drivers are necessary.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by solsurf Sunday, October 4, 2009 12:18 AM
    Saturday, October 3, 2009 9:02 AM
  • Vielen Dank Olaf for replying and shedding some light on my situation.

I have some "newbie" type questions regarding your suggestions:

1. My system does not have a floppy drive, so am I able to use a USB drive during the blue screen stage of setup to add the storage drivers?'
    2. Where do I go to get SATA controller drivers? My system has an MSI motherboard (K9A2GM/K9A2VM), do I go there to find them?
    3. If I change the mode of the SATA controller in the BIOS to IDE, am I able to change it back after installing WHS?

Thanks in advance
    Damian
    1. Usually not, though newer motherboards are more likely than older ones to support this.
    2. Read the manual for your motherboard. It will tell you how to prepare an "F6 floppy".
    3. Don't bother to switch back to SATA. You will theoretically sacrifice a small amount of performance. You will gain compatibility and ease of installation, or reinstallation in the event of e.g. OS corruption. It's a net win.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, October 3, 2009 4:27 PM

All replies

• You will need to load the drivers again during the blue screen stage of setup (feed them via floppy drive, while the system asks for pressing F6 to add more storage drivers). Background is, that the Windows Server 2003 system is not equipped with SATA drivers and the first stage of setup, which uses Vista drivers, cannot copy proper drivers to the disk.
    Other than that, you can also change the mode of your SATA controller in the Bios to IDE (ATA/PATA) instead of RAID or AHCI, in this case no additional drivers are necessary.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, October 3, 2009 9:02 AM

1. My system does not have a floppy drive, so am I able to use a USB drive during the blue screen stage of setup to add the storage drivers?'
    2. Where do I go to get SATA controller drivers? My system has an MSI motherboard (K9A2GM/K9A2VM), do I go there to find them?
    3. If I change the mode of the SATA controller in the BIOS to IDE, am I able to change it back after installing WHS?

Thanks in advance
    Damian
    • Unmarked as answer by solsurf Sunday, October 4, 2009 12:18 AM
    Saturday, October 3, 2009 1:33 PM

Thanks in advance
    Damian
    1. Usually not, though newer motherboards are more likely than older ones to support this.
    2. Read the manual for your motherboard. It will tell you how to prepare an "F6 floppy".
    3. Don't bother to switch back to SATA. You will theoretically sacrifice a small amount of performance. You will gain compatibility and ease of installation, or reinstallation in the event of e.g. OS corruption. It's a net win.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, October 3, 2009 4:27 PM
  • Went with changing the mode of the SATA controller in the BIOS and everything is running sweetly. Thanks Olaf and Ken for your replies.

Sunday, October 4, 2009 12:20 AM