Author Disambiguation? RRS feed

• Question

• There is an author by the name of C. J. Batty whose publications show up in my publications list (Christopher Batty).  I am wondering if there is a way to correct this conveniently? C J Batty shows up as a separate author, with all of his publications, but some of those publications are duplicated into my list.
    Sunday, September 26, 2010 3:17 AM

Answers

• Hi Fabio, thanks for your interest and comments.

Currently it is possible to add publication by uploading paper PDF. The feature is right below the "Edit Publications List" option.

You may also add a publication list by uploading BibTex. But removing paper function is not available yet.

We always try to make the UX as smooth as possible and work out a more convenient way for users to manage their publication list. So if you have other advices, feel free to let us know. Stay tuned.

• Marked as answer by Cherry CHE Thursday, September 30, 2010 2:13 PM
    Monday, September 27, 2010 9:03 AM

All replies

• I´d also like to see this question answered. It would be helpful if features to remove and add publications (for a given author) could be added as part of the "Edit Publications List" menu option.

Sunday, September 26, 2010 10:10 PM
  • I also have the same request.
    Monday, September 27, 2010 1:57 AM
  • Hi Christopher,

In this case you may move out those papers by correcting their author (change the author name as C. J. Batty instead of yours).

If this doesn't work well, please write to us: acadfb@microsoft.com and we will look into it as soon as possible.

Sorry about the inaccuracy, and we are now working hard to solve the name disambiguation issue. Feel free to let us know if you have other comments/suggestions.

Monday, September 27, 2010 8:49 AM
  • Hi Fabio, thanks for your interest and comments.

Currently it is possible to add publication by uploading paper PDF. The feature is right below the "Edit Publications List" option.

You may also add a publication list by uploading BibTex. But removing paper function is not available yet.

We always try to make the UX as smooth as possible and work out a more convenient way for users to manage their publication list. So if you have other advices, feel free to let us know. Stay tuned.

• Marked as answer by Cherry CHE Thursday, September 30, 2010 2:13 PM
    Monday, September 27, 2010 9:03 AM
  • Name Disambiguation is a hard problem to our system, and we are working hard on solving it.

Currently, just as Angelica said, you can edit it thru the "User Edit" feature, which can help to solve some cases. However, one more commen case is that, publications for authors who share the same name, e. g. "John Smith", are mixed up. it's a little complicated to handle such cases in our system now.

We are trying to allow user to split publication list for a specific author in a more easily and user-friendly way. It's a big change and long term work to us. Many UI, system, algorithm works is needed...

Thanks for your feedback !

Thursday, September 30, 2010 6:45 AM
  • e.g. in my case (George Birbilis) you have papers from two persons merged into my account. There's a Merge Author suggestion action but no Split Authors action

at Google Scholar they take another approach, you make your own profile if you want and claim papers

Microsoft MVP J# 2004-2010, Borland Spirit of Delphi 2001

Monday, December 3, 2012 6:04 PM