none
Replacing drive with shared folders RRS feed

• Question

• I have a client that is using Home Server for his small business. He is using Quickbooks which was very difficult to install and he does not want to have to reinstall WHS.  One of the Data drives had a bad block and we could not remove it using add/remove a drive.  We removed the drive and added the new one.  Now for the 2nd problem the D Drive where the Shares are located is showing 1.2 TB free on a 160 GB partition.  I would like to backup the data on the D drive to an external drive then delete recreate the drive and do a restore.  But will that mess up the shared folder?  Also backups will not run even though the service is running.  Standard answer is to repair (delete) the backup database.  A repair just hangs and nothing happens even after a full 24 hrs.  If I do need to just delete the database where is it located and if i backup and restore the D drive shares will WHS be happy and have all the share permissions
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 2:28 PM

All replies

• Part of the backup database may be on the removed disk, so repair may not work. Removing the disk the way you have done should be no problem for data in shares, as long as the shares are duplicated, however if any client backup data are stored on that disk this procedure will wreck the client backup database.

I would advise you to put the disk back in the WHS in it's original position, run chkdsk on all disks as described in the FAQ How to check all the drives in your server for errors, then try and remove the disk again (at least if you still think this is necessary after running chkdsk)

Thursday, September 17, 2009 3:00 PM
  • I will mention one thing which you may be aware of, or not: Quickbooks is not supported when the database is installed on Windows Home Server. This is per Intuit.

Regarding the disk you're having trouble with: If you haven't done so, and you don't have any shares without duplication turned on, you can use the console to remove the disk from the storage pool at this time (while it's not installed). If you don't have duplication turned on for all shares, you may lose files in your shares if you do this, so you should follow brubber's advice in that case.

Regarding your backup database: you'll find information about the location in the Home Computer Backup and Restore technical brief.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 3:29 PM
  • I probably made my question too complex

I have one physical drive that has the OS C: and the file shares D

THe file share drive is reporting 1.2TB free on a 160 GB drive.  I need to take the files off the drive delete the partition then recreate the drive letter, copy the data back.

With the file shares on the drive how do I remove them and put them back?

In order to fix my backup problem i cam going to have to delete the backup database, how do I do that.  I assume I should delete the database then get the new one going with a backup then backup delete recreate restore the drive?

As for the Intuit article that was before powerpack 1 fixed the file corruption issue
    Friday, September 18, 2009 5:58 PM
  • The problem is that you had two drives. Based on what you've said, I think you removed the second drive physically from the machine, but didn't remove it from the storage pool. (Windows Home Server is probably complaining about that now.) Windows Home Server will believe that you have the combined space on the two drives in the storage pool until you remove that (missing) drive using the Windows Home Server console.

Backup database: the location is in the document I linked.

QuickBooks: I am not a customer of Intuit's so they won't give me the time of day. But have you personally confirmed with them that Windows Home Server is now a supported platform? As far as I can tell, that article and this one are still current, and they say not to use Windows Home Server as your QuickBooks platform.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 18, 2009 9:38 PM
  • I visited the customer on Saturday.  No way to get the D Drive to show the correct size.  However replacing the storage drive and adding a new one got rid of the corrupt file issue.  Still unable to do backups even though network showed healthy. Error was Backup service not running.  Tried doing a reinstall and Server 2003 installed but the Homer Server part would not?  Just weird the logon showed SBS 2003 and just looped.  Decided then to just do a clean install and all was well 7 hrs later!

I have had good luck with Home Server in the past but this issues was difficult due to I believe 2 seperate issues.  I emphasized to the customer that when they have any issues to contact me right away.  I offer free phone support but I spent 17  hrs working on this issue!
    Monday, September 21, 2009 3:50 PM
  • I visited the customer on Saturday.  No way to get the D Drive to show the correct size.  However replacing the storage drive and adding a new one got rid of the corrupt file issue.  Still unable to do backups even though network showed healthy. Error was Backup service not running.  Tried doing a reinstall and Server 2003 installed but the Homer Server part would not?  Just weird the logon showed SBS 2003 and just looped.  Decided then to just do a clean install and all was well 7 hrs later!

I have had good luck with Home Server in the past but this issues was difficult due to I believe 2 seperate issues.  I emphasized to the customer that when they have any issues to contact me right away.  I offer free phone support but I spent 17  hrs working on this issue!

You will never get the D drive to show the correct free space. This is due to a workaround which was implemented to get correct indication of free space when copying files to server shares. Before the workaround was implemented free space on the D partition was reported to the clients, and this could results in cases where users who had Terabytes of free space on the Data drives were unable to copy more then the total amount of free space on D drive.

Also please note that using logon to homeserver desktop for adminintrative purposes is not supported and even discouraged by MS. If you don't know exactly what you're doing best stay clear from it! WHS is NOT W2K3 or SBS.

Backups probably failed because you didn't remove the disk in the appropriate way, so part of the database files were missing (They were on the disk you physically removed). This is most likeley also the reason server reinstall failed, that is if it really failed; server reinstall can take a very long time and, depending on the amount of data present on the secondary disk(s).

I think if you had followed my original advise you would have spent a lot less time on this issue.
    Monday, September 21, 2009 11:42 PM