Home Server Connect problems RRS feed

• Question

• I have windows xp SP 3 installed on one of my PCs with 3 HDD a WD 160, WD 250, and WD 320 all are SATA drives. They are all formatted using a basic partition, I read online that the Server Connect software can not see basic, I tried anyways and I get a can not configure because there are no drives with an NTFS volume. I tried to convert to a dynamic partition but I get a dublicated drive when I do that. (Ex. I have my 250 Gig with a drive letter J when I convert to dynamic I get a second drive with letter I which is the same as J) Is there any way to get server to see my basic partitions.

Thanks You
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 8:30 PM

Answers

• DiskPart Info

Volume ###  Ltr   Label         Fs      Type                Size            Status        Info
    --------------  ---   -----------   -----    -------------      -------------  ---------     -------
    Volume 0       E                                 DVD-ROM
    Volume 1       F                                 DVD-ROM
    Volume 2      G                                 DVD-ROM         
    Volume 3      H                                 DVD-ROM
    Volume 4             WD 250     NTFS  Partition           233 GB        Healthy
    Volume 5             WD 160     NTFS  Partition          160 GB         Healthy
    Volume 6             WD 320GB NTFS Partition          320 GB         Healthy

I thought about it last night and I think I did use convert to change from FAT32 to NTFS but I am not to sure. I did not use a 3rd party tool however
    I use Acronis to backup my hard drive and I have had to restore it once.

There are some errors

1. The Following boot-start or system-start driver(s) Failed to load.
         AVG Anti-Rootkit
         AvgArCln
         ntiomin
        PQIMount
        SASKUTIL
        sfhlp02
        sfsync04
        vmm
    2. The Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service service depends on the Uninversal Plug and Play Device Host service which faild to start because of the following error.
        The service cannont be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
    3. The Windows User Mode Driver Framework service failed to start due to the following error.
        The service did not respont to the start or control request in a timely fashion
    4. Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Windows User Mode Driver Framework service to connect.
    5. The mrtRate service failed to start due to the following error.
        The system cannot find the file specified
    6. Unable to start DCOM server. (FFF2D28F-E3EE-44D9-8104-8E71556757F6). The error.
        "The System cannot find the path specified."
        Happened while starting this command
       C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\agent.exe-Embedding

At least part of the problem is you have no drive letters associated with your hard drives.  Do you really have 4 DVD-ROMs in your computer, or is it possible one or more of those are supposed to be your hard drives?  If you go to My Computer, how many DVD drives and hard drives do you see there?
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:14 PM
  • As Kariya said, the fact, that there are no drive letters shown for the disks in diskpart, might be a reason for having the trouble.
    What happens, if you try to use the assign command in diskpart to assign the appropriate drive letters to the volumes?
    I.e.:
    diskpart
    select volume 4
    (assuming that is drive C:)
    assign letter=C

If I remember correctly I have read in the past, that drives converted with convert may also be troublesome sometimes, but can't put the finger on it.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 9:52 AM

All replies

• I have windows xp SP 3 installed on one of my PCs with 3 HDD a WD 160, WD 250, and WD 320 all are SATA drives. They are all formatted using a basic partition, I read online that the Server Connect software can not see basic, I tried anyways and I get a can not configure because there are no drives with an NTFS volume. I tried to convert to a dynamic partition but I get a dublicated drive when I do that. (Ex. I have my 250 Gig with a drive letter J when I convert to dynamic I get a second drive with letter I which is the same as J) Is there any way to get server to see my basic partitions.

Thanks You

Converting your drives from basic to dynamic won't help.  You need to convert them from FAT/FAT32 to NTFS (if they are not NTFS already).  My suggestion would be to double check to see if it is in fact NTFS after all (through Disk Management).  If you do need to convert, please see MS article KB307881.
    Monday, July 13, 2009 12:48 AM
  • Yes all of my drives are NTFS (Basic Partition)

Monday, July 13, 2009 1:56 AM
  • Yes all of my drives are NTFS (Basic Partition)

Did you convert from FAT/FAT32 at some point in the past?  Some users have not been able to backup a hard drive that was converted from FAT/FAT32 to NTFS (compared to creating the drive as NTFS during OS installation).
    Monday, July 13, 2009 4:45 AM
  • no they were formatted in NTFS from the start.
    Monday, July 13, 2009 3:23 PM
  • no they were formatted in NTFS from the start.

Then it should work.  Are you saying when you try to configure the backup for your client, you don't see any drives at all?
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 1:34 AM
  • Yes. When I installed Windows Home Server Connector in my XP system it sees my Home Server and puts a check next to Joining Windows Home Server, But when it says Configuring Computer backup it gives me this error. " This Computer cannot be backed up automatically because it does not have any hard-drive volumes that are configured with the NTFS file system. I did notice that in Disk Management my C drive says Healthy (Active) under status I heard that this can cause a problem is there anyway to change that to Healthy (System).
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 2:24 AM
  • Please open a command prompt, and in this enter the command
    diskpart
    In the diskpart prompt enter
    list vol
    and post the output here.
    Did you create the volumes with the setup routine or using any 3rd party tool? Did you ever clone the drives and play them back?
    Can you find any potential related error messages or warnings in the event viewer?
    If you run services.msc, are all services, which are supposed to start automatically, started? (Logical Disk Management service etc)
    You could also try to run chkdsk /r on all drives in the client to check the disks for failures.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:14 AM
  • DiskPart Info

Volume ###  Ltr   Label         Fs      Type                Size            Status        Info
    --------------  ---   -----------   -----    -------------      -------------  ---------     -------

I thought about it last night and I think I did use convert to change from FAT32 to NTFS but I am not to sure. I did not use a 3rd party tool however

There are some errors

AVG Anti-Rootkit
         AvgArCln
         ntiomin
        PQIMount
        SASKUTIL
        sfhlp02
        sfsync04
        vmm
    2. The Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service service depends on the Uninversal Plug and Play Device Host service which faild to start because of the following error.
        The service cannont be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
    3. The Windows User Mode Driver Framework service failed to start due to the following error.
    4. Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Windows User Mode Driver Framework service to connect.
    6. Unable to start DCOM server. (FFF2D28F-E3EE-44D9-8104-8E71556757F6). The error.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 9:26 PM
  • DiskPart Info

There are some errors

AVG Anti-Rootkit
         AvgArCln
         ntiomin
        PQIMount
        SASKUTIL
        sfhlp02
        sfsync04
        vmm

At least part of the problem is you have no drive letters associated with your hard drives.  Do you really have 4 DVD-ROMs in your computer, or is it possible one or more of those are supposed to be your hard drives?  If you go to My Computer, how many DVD drives and hard drives do you see there?
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:14 PM
  • G and H are virtual drives created by Alcohol 52% E and F are DVDs and I have only 3 HDD. I ran Diskpart from the Recovery Console off my XP disc and it has drive letters for my HDD
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:16 AM
  • As Kariya said, the fact, that there are no drive letters shown for the disks in diskpart, might be a reason for having the trouble.
    What happens, if you try to use the assign command in diskpart to assign the appropriate drive letters to the volumes?
    I.e.:
    diskpart
    select volume 4
    (assuming that is drive C:)
    assign letter=C

If I remember correctly I have read in the past, that drives converted with convert may also be troublesome sometimes, but can't put the finger on it.
    Olaf
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 9:52 AM
  • When I try to do that is says "DiskPart could not assign the drive letter or mount point. Make sure the drive letter or mount point is valid".I found that if I convert to Dynamic it works however I have heard its not the best is that true.
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 8:58 PM