Windows 7 Beta OnCare Support

Question

• I installed Windows 7 Beta and the OnCare Live is not supported.   Is there a planned replacement for OnCare of Windows 7.   If so is there a customer ready version (Beta) available?

Retired Male with Experience
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 3:15 PM

Answers

• Hello Wayne, installing on W7 is indeed not supported. I can't link to this announcement so I will paste it here:

Windows 7 - Not Supported by OneCare!by Stephen Boots on Monday, January 12, 2009 7:15:29 AM
    With the wide release of Windows 7 beta, many people are discovering that OneCare fails to install on Windows 7 or that OneCare stops working if it is installed and the operating system is upgraded from Vista to Windows 7.

The installation requirements for OneCare - http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/3/helpsupport/requirements.htm - clearly state what operating systems OneCare can be installed on.

Microsoft Windows XP (Home Edition, Professional, Media Center Edition, or Tablet PC Edition) with Service Pack 2 (SP2) or later, or Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit (Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, or Ultimate) operating system (OneCare does not support the Windows XP Professional 64-bit operating system)

This is not likely to change, since OneCare is in maintenance mode with no new releases for functionality planned. See the announcement here: Sticky: Announcement 11-18-08

So, if you plan to test Windows 7 - be sure to uninstall OneCare prior to upgrading from Vista and don't try to install it to Windows 7. There have been reports of people using Compatibility mode to get OneCare installed and running, but I would strongly recommend that you use an alternative security program that is designed to run on Windows 7. Security software needs to be aware of the environment that it is running in for it to be effective.

-steve

Jim
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 3:24 PM