Auto-Populate Fields Based on Lookup Value RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys, 

I realise that this question has been asked before but due to my lack of knowledge and experience I was unable to comprehend the answer, so i apologise for asking this again and if you can paste code or keep explanations as simple as possible, that would be great!

I have an entity called Assets that's stores all the details for a particular asset (Laptop, printer etc). I also have an entity called IT Products that stores all the data regarding our product database. On the asset form their is a lookup field that looks-up to the IT Product entity. What i am trying to achieve is that when i create an Asset (i.e. a HP 6820s) I want the static info in the form for this IT Product (i.e. pccpuspeed, pcram etc....) pulled through onto the Asset form. 

I realise that this could be achieved through attribute mapping but the issue with that is (1) i cannot see how to map picklist values, which there are a number of and (2) This only works when the asset is created from the IT Product form which unfortunately, will not. 

If some kind person could post the code and instructions that would be great!

Finally, let me say thanks to all on these boards who have helped me so far in steep learning curve as a new CRM Consultant!

Cheers

Joel
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 2:35 PM

Answers

• Hi Joel, unfortunately this isn't a standard feature. You could write something using JavaScript web service calls which are documented in the CRM SDK.

You might even be lucky enough to find that a CRM developer as posted some example of this in their blog. However, such customisations are fragile because they increase the interdependency of your IT Product and Asset entities making the system less flexible in the future.

Generally, I would ask users to click on the parent IT product record if they want to view some of it's properties.
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 6:14 PM