PnP service missing from Services! RRS feed

• Question

• Bottom line:  My PnP (not UPnP) service is missing. 

I was attacked or I downloaded something (not sure which) that self activated and removed all my devices from the device manager.  This includes all my USB ports, my sound card, and many other devices.  The result is that my windows copy is telling me to activate due to massive system configuration changes.  I haven't actually changed anything, but my OS is believing that I have, so it tells me to activate within one day (now).

After hours of searching the different resources here and elswhere, I have found that my registry key for the PnP service is missing.  My assumption here is that the attack removed that key (and service) with a registry hack.

I have tried to restore the PnP key to the registry, but even with the path set to find the services.exe file, the error message about unable to find the path comes up.

Sunday, August 5, 2007 2:55 PM

Answers

• Lambrecht47mtp,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Forum.  The purpose of this forum is the support of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program.  Your question is off topic as well as outside my area of knowledge. I suggest posting your question to one of the Office newsgroups here:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/serveros/win2003.mspx

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, August 6, 2007 10:08 PM