none
RSS Feed Articles from this forum - 404 Errors (Off Topic) RRS feed

• Question

• I have an RSS feed set up in WIndows Live Mail, through which some of these posts come.

I read the questions in Live Mail and click "View Online" to come to this forum to read the replies etc. Today (29/3/2009) I have been getting 404 errors when trying to open the "full article". Has anyone else experienced this or any other "glitches" in this new-look forum, which otherwise seems to be nicer, with a cleaner interface.

Andrew M
    • Moved by Lori Dirks Sunday, March 29, 2009 1:42 AM
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 11:25 PM

Answers

• Is this still occurring with new posts? Quite a while back (Nov) we changed our thread URLs to have the forum name in them as well, but we still allowed the old URL style. It seems both our alerts and RSS feeds didn't get updated at that time. The new version of the forums doesn't allow for those older URLs, and was a change made to both RSS and alerts to use the newer URL scheme... I just checked the RSS feed, and it is using the newer scheme, so older URLS you have cached in your reader might not be working.

Matt

Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 6:59 AM

All replies

• Is this still occurring with new posts? Quite a while back (Nov) we changed our thread URLs to have the forum name in them as well, but we still allowed the old URL style. It seems both our alerts and RSS feeds didn't get updated at that time. The new version of the forums doesn't allow for those older URLs, and was a change made to both RSS and alerts to use the newer URL scheme... I just checked the RSS feed, and it is using the newer scheme, so older URLS you have cached in your reader might not be working.

Matt

Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 6:59 AM
  • I've seen this on an alert I got after the upgrade.  The link in the alert message was missing the forum name, producing a 404 when trying to visit the thread.
    Hans Passant.
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 7:54 AM