Moving disks with data to new server. RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to move my two ide discs to an new server and import these to the new server
    without loosing data and having to reinstall?

My old servers hardware was no good so i built and installed a new whs.
    I would now like to move two of my three old discs to the new server without having to reinstall the whs.
    The discs i want to move contains data, they have not been system discs, the old whs-os was installed on the third disc.

Saturday, November 8, 2008 8:09 AM

Answers

• Does the old server OS still run?
    In this case start it, rename it and reboot.
    If the Administrator passwords are in sync you should be able to copy directly from share to share via network.

If it is not running any more, the files can be found in the hidden folder DE\shares on each disk.
    (Some of them may be duplicate, if you used that feature.)

So if you attach the disk to any PC (or to the server without integrating it into the storage) and toggle the Explorer option to show hidden files and folders, you will be able to copy the files from DE\shares subfolders to the shared folders on server (use the shortcut on desktop, do not copy directly to disk!).

The backups could only be transferred, if the old server is still functional, otherwise you will have to redo them.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 10:56 AM

All replies

• Does the old server OS still run?
    In this case start it, rename it and reboot.
    If the Administrator passwords are in sync you should be able to copy directly from share to share via network.

If it is not running any more, the files can be found in the hidden folder DE\shares on each disk.
    (Some of them may be duplicate, if you used that feature.)

So if you attach the disk to any PC (or to the server without integrating it into the storage) and toggle the Explorer option to show hidden files and folders, you will be able to copy the files from DE\shares subfolders to the shared folders on server (use the shortcut on desktop, do not copy directly to disk!).

The backups could only be transferred, if the old server is still functional, otherwise you will have to redo them.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 10:56 AM
  • Did just what you said and it worked fine.
    thank you.
    Was hoping to be able to just plug in and go but... Its microsoft :-)

Thank you for your help and greetings from Sweden
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 11:52 AM