Window 7 Upgrade issue RRS feed

• Question

• I have a HP DV7 laptop, that came with Vista Home Premium 64 bit versioin. I ordered the Windows 7 Professional upgrade, and installed that from the download that I got along with that I purchased the disk.  When I installed Windows 7 it wiped out the back up of Vista which was on the D drive (drive that HP setup for system restore).  I did not get a product key when I ordered the upgrade (not sure why).  Any the problem is that my harddrive bit the dust.  I took the computer back to best buy along with the Windows 7 disk  and they installed a new hard drive and windows 7 but without a key it will give me some problem in about a month. 

What can I do to resolve this problem?

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 6:59 PM

Answers

• check your confirmation emails
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, November 10, 2010 7:09 PM
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 12:33 AM

All replies

• Assuming you purchased your upgrade from MS store your key will be stored in your MS store account. Access your MS store account and check for the product key, also check your email confirmation or invoice from when you bought it. If you purchased the upgrade from the computer manufacturer then it may have been preconfigured and the key may not have been included, some of the manufacturer upgrades prepair the computer and install the upgrade without user intervention.

In either case you will need to reinstall the original, qualifying OS before you can use your upgrade media. Where did you purchase your upgrade from?

You can obtain the original restoration media from the manufacturer. Or you can install any other validly licensed qualifying OS but in order to use the upgrade media/key you must first have the qualifying OS installed and start the install from within windows.
    • Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, November 9, 2010 8:42 PM
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 7:31 PM
  • Purchased from the Microsoft store
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 10:26 PM
  • I purchased it throught this link

http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/software/windows/default.aspx

But it does not show up in the purchase history of the microsoft store. for some reason.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 10:31 PM
  • check your confirmation emails
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, November 10, 2010 7:09 PM
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 12:33 AM
  • Ok found the key.

However the issue now is that I was upgrading from Windows Vista Home Premium 64 to Windows 7 Professional 64.

The upgrade re-formats my hard drive and installs Windows 7 and creates a directory called Windows.old

When I enter my key is says that this is for upgrade only.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 12:33 PM
  • "Bill-Devine" wrote in message news:2931afb3-7e62-471d-b16a-9624c1d0c4b3...

Ok found the key.

However the issue now is that I was upgrading from Windows Vista Home Premium 64 to Windows 7 Professional 64.

The upgrade re-formats my hard drive and installs Windows 7 and creates a directory called Windows.old

When I enter my key is says that this is for upgrade only.

If that's happened, then you probably started the install from a DVD boot? (rather than from within Windows?)
    Have a look here for some help:_

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 12:43 PM