How do you set up a personal Web site on WHS 2011? RRS feed

• Question

• On WHS v.1 it was easy to create a personal Web site, but it seems more difficult, if even possible, in WHS 2011. (There might have been an add-in to help with setting it up, can't remember.)

I still have the same domain name I used in WHS v.1, of the form https://[my_site_name].homeserver.com, and I have no problem accessing that address remotely for access to my server and computers. But how do I set up a public outward-facing site?

If this has already been addressed, please point me to the appropriate thread or doc. Looking in particular for step-by-step instructions, which do not seem to be available in WHS 2011 Help.

Thanks!

Saul
    • Edited by scandib Thursday, January 12, 2012 7:16 PM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 7:15 PM

All replies

• You can't do it easily on WHS2011 without having an understanding of IIS and even then there is the chance of screwing up the Remote Access site. There is no equivalent for WHS 2011 of the WHS-1 add-in that allowed you to do that easily.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:27 PM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 9:27 PM
  • Thanks for clearing that up, Phil.

I have used IIS to create sites in the past, so maybe I'll give it a shot. Or maybe not, if there's a chance of messing up Remote Access, that's more important.

Too bad, though.

Saul
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 6:48 PM