Access to Mshome Server from Vista Home Premium RRS feed

• Question

• Hello - new to the forum, so please excuse terminology mistakes.

Help - I need remote access to MSHome Server installed in another state - just found out that this cannot be done from my Vista laptop.   I need to connect to this server.  Any ideas out there as to how to do this using my curretn Vista system?  Any workarounds?  

Sunday, September 19, 2010 3:30 PM

All replies

• Remote access can't be configured remotely, only from your local network via the Windows Home Server console. If remote access wasn't already configured on the server before you traveled to your current location there is no way to do so now.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, September 19, 2010 6:29 PM
  •  

Sorry, I didn't explain this well enough.  

Next weekend, I am traveling to a vacation home to configure a new HP MSHome Server.  But, according to MS Home Server installation instructions, even after I install MSHome Server at the vacation home, I won't be able to access the server remotely from my primary residence...because I use MS Vista there.  Remote access is key for me.    I have no need for MSHome Sever if I cannot access remotely.

Any ideas?

Sunday, September 19, 2010 11:34 PM
  • I believe you're talking about the ability to connect to a Windows Home Server client computer using the remote desktop proxy built into the product. Only certain versions of Windows support that ability, but you can use any version of Windows to connect to the Remote Access web site and (as long as you use Internet Explorer) to connect to client computers running supported operating systems.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, September 20, 2010 12:42 PM