Is the xxx.homeserver.com domain up and running on Wed 6/22/11?? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying to connect to my WHS 2011 box all morning, but the xxx.homeserver.com domain takes forever to load to my login (7-minutes), then it times out after logging in. Just curious whether it's my system, or an overall problem with Microsoft?

Could somebody please try it out and let me know?

TIA!

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 8:39 PM

All replies

• That's weird. Two minutes after posting this, the system is back up. Crazy...
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 8:44 PM
  • Well, it seems to be out again.  I have been trying to log in for the past 3 hours with zero success.

actor39
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 1:21 AM
  • Well, it seems to be out again.  I have been trying to log in for the past 3 hours with zero success.

actor39

No, it wasn't really down!  The internet service to the location of the server was down!  Hard to tell the difference from a distance. 

actor39
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 5:42 PM

actor39

No, it wasn't really down!  The internet service to the location of the server was down!  Hard to tell the difference from a distance. 

actor39

By the way, does anyone know of a "test URL" which could be used just to check the availability of the homeserver.com domain?

actor39
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 5:44 PM
  • I'd like to know this as well, as it seems to be down for me once again! About the same time on the following day. Server is not doing any sort of backups. It should just be sitting there, so I'd be surprised if it's a problem with my installation or home network.
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 6:29 PM
  • I am confused by all this talk of the xx.homeserver.com domain being down. You are hosting that domain on your server - all Microsoft is providing is a DDNS service. Unless your public IP address is changing regularly, then failing to connect to xxx.homeserver.com will be caused by your server or your ISP providing the connection to your server.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 6:40 PM
  • I am confused as well! I know in the past the DNS service was down, so remote connections were not possible. I have been having flaky connection issues, so was just trying to rule out some things. Can you connect to your server via using xxx.homeserver.com?

UPDATE: It's all up and running again for me, LOL! My server doesn't report any issues. Just not sure what is going on, and it's very frustrating.

• Edited by bondisdead Thursday, June 23, 2011 11:00 PM
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 8:31 PM
  • Yes, no problem at all as long as my ADSL link is not down. If it is, then when reconnected the server talks to the Microsoft server and updates my domain name with my new IP address (I do not have a fixed IP with Verizon), that then is updated around the Internet. Voila, xxx.homeserver.com points to my new IP address.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 8:38 PM
  • Not sure what is going on, but it's down again. :-( Is there a log-file I can look at to see what is going on in my server? The last time i got on there were no alerts.
    Friday, June 24, 2011 12:36 AM
  • Guess I'm the only guy with remote access problems. :-( I find nothing in the log-files why I get intermittent access. I would be very surprised that TimeWarner is changing my IP address to often. But to have it work one minute, then suddenly stop working a few minutes later?
    Monday, June 27, 2011 10:45 PM
  • i get the same resuats, one minute it up the next its down. im at work on a dedicated fiber and static ip. my server keeps trying to refress itself .. why? at times it errors and says the domain name cant connect with my ip but i can goto the web and type my ip to the server and it works. type the xxx.homeserer.com and it comes up blank. goto the server and its trying to refresh. turn remote off wait turn it on go thru all the b.s. and then its up and running but then after minutes , or hrs its trying to refresh again. most of the problems i keep seeing things about certificates. i don't thing WHS1 used them and it worked like a charm but WHS2 has to use them and it sucks. why did they mess up the remote access. they should have kept it like WHS1 that worked great. oh well ill keep playing with it until i find something out. also its so much of blank info on anything on the new server that it takes all day to find any usefull info on it.
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 6:01 PM