Can I view the desktop of my WHS machine from one my home machines? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to figure out how to view the desktop of my whs pc so I can run a program from a pc on my home network. I've installed connector and can log on using the console, but that's it. How can this be done?

TJ
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 12:13 AM

Answers

• Well after a little google I found this command that can be run from the remote machine and it works just fine.

mstsc /v:servernam /admin
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 12:46 AM
  • I'm trying to figure out how to view the desktop of my whs pc so I can run a program from a pc on my home network. I've installed connector and can log on using the console, but that's it. How can this be done?

TJ
    Yes, you can use Remote Desktop Connection (which is what your script uses in your last post) to logon to the server desktop.  Note however that it is unsupported and could potentially cause problems with your OS installation (especially if you try to use some of the tools that are included in the underlying OS, Windows Server 2003).
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 1:05 AM

All replies

•  
    may help you with your needs.  Review and download link at the url.

--

"tjohn093" <=?utf-8?B?dGpvaG4wOTM=?=> wrote in message news:fdbbbf92-ad29-4da f-b144-f8a81fcb4460...
    I'm trying to figure out how to view the desktop of my whs pc so I can run a program from a pc on my home network. I've installed connector and can log on using the console, but that's it. How can this be done?

TJ

BullDawg
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 12:19 AM
  • Thanks BullDawg, that's a neat add in. The specific program is coretemp, which I can minimize to the task bar to monitor cpu temp. Not sure if I can view it running this add in but I'll try it.

TJ
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 12:28 AM
  • Well after a little google I found this command that can be run from the remote machine and it works just fine.

mstsc /v:servernam /admin
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 12:46 AM

TJ
    Yes, you can use Remote Desktop Connection (which is what your script uses in your last post) to logon to the server desktop.  Note however that it is unsupported and could potentially cause problems with your OS installation (especially if you try to use some of the tools that are included in the underlying OS, Windows Server 2003).
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 1:05 AM
  • Thanks kariya21, will installing or launching programs harm anything? I hate having to keep a keyboard, mouse, and monitor sitting by my server taking up space.
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 12:40 PM
  • Thanks kariya21, will installing or launching programs harm anything?

I wouldn't do it unless you tested your apps extensively on a "throw-away" WHS OS install first.

I hate having to keep a keyboard, mouse, and monitor sitting by my server taking up space.
    You don't need that anyway (whether you install apps or not).
    Monday, January 4, 2010 2:34 AM