Quirks we've seen with Live Meeting, Outlook add-in, and scheduling RRS feed

• Question

• Just thought I would pass on some things we have seen with Live Meeting and the Outlook add-in... perhaps some of you have ideas for work arounds, resolutions, or something else to offer?

Hope this list also helps a few of you out so you don't have to pull your own hair out, so to speak.

Getting support for Live Meeting when using OCS as your back end (self hosted) can prove to be a little frustrating. On my first attempt at getting support, my issue seemed to be somewhat of a hot potato... one team said call the other team... and so on... 

Here are some of the things that we are seeing, perhaps somebody has resolutions to some?

1. After accepting a Live Meeting or Conferencing request in Outlook 2003, you go to the Calendar and open up the item... we are seeing that ALL of the formatting (spacing, text formatting such as Bold) is gone.  We've tested this with Rich Text & HTML.  Performing the same test with Outlook 2002 (XP), all formatting is completely in tact. Not sure what you would find with Outllook 2007 as we do not currently have it deployed.

2. The 'Join the meeting' and 'Join the conference call' links in Outlook 2003.

- When you open the calendar item in Outlook 2003 you may notice that the link to join the meeting or conference call does not work.  KB954230 'sort of' fixes this issue.  Instead of 'Join the meeting' or 'Join the conference call' being the hyperlink, you see the text (Join the meeting, etc) followed by the string to the meeting.  This string is now the hyperlink.  This is very confusing for our non-technical users, especially with the lost formatting noted above.

...I did speak with Live Meeting support regarding the above two items.  First response was, this is by design.... pressing further, due to the fact that Outlook 2002 works and looks just great!... the second response was... call OCS support.

3.  Scheduling a meeting, making somebody a presenter with Outlook 2003.

When a meeting is scheduled via Outlook 2003 and another person assigned as a presenter, the assignment does not seem to stick.  When the person that is assigned presenter privileges joins the meeting, they do not have presenter privileges.  Now, if the meeting is created using Outlook 2002, the assignment is in tact and the other person can now manage the meeting and content.  This functionality is something that we require... where administrative assistance do the scheduling for various managers, and will not necessarily be able to join the meeting just to make the manager a presenter.

4.  Turning one instance of a recurring meeting into a Live Meeting.

You are able to take an entire series of recurring meetings and turn the ALL into Live Meetings or Conference Calls.  You are, however, not able to take a single instance of the recurring set and make it a Live Meeting or Conference Call.  You must first delete the meeting and send the cancellation... then re-create the meeting in the format you require (live meeting/conference call).  I believe the support rep that I spoke with is putting a Request for Enhancement in on my behalf... if this is functionality you would like to see or require, I would highly recommend opening a ticket with Live Meeting support (Live Meeting support is free) and asking request this enhancement.  The more people that do this, the more likely the functionality will one day be added.

5.  Schedule a meeting on behalf of somebody else.

There is a Request for Enhancement already opened with the Live Meeting team on this functionality.  My information (name and number) has been added to the request.  Can't hurt to add yours as well....

The work around is to schedule the meeting and add the other person as a Presenter.  Note my point # 3, if you are scheduling using Outlook 2003, this may not function correctly.

6.  PDF documents in Landscape.

When you upload a PDF file that is in Landscape format, it will be displayed in Portrait in the Live Meeting console... you now have to tilt your head to view your document.

The work arounds:
    Convert your document into another format such as Word.  Chances are you will lose all or some of your formatting with PDF to Word converters... I have only found one that kept all formatting almost perfectly: Leadtools ePrint 5 Workstation.

or

Share the application (Adobe Reader)

Other information:
    Live Meeting release notes:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=8102B4E6-62F2-4D33-B465-A6C5DA1B8973&displaylang=en

***I don't believe that any of the items I have seen issues with, being all of the above, are at all mentioned in the release notes.   The last version of the release notes was published on 10/22/2007.

Don't forget to check out the FREE virtual training from Microsoft!  You may learn a few things.

For OCS: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/bb512928.aspx

Thursday, October 2, 2008 4:51 PM

All replies

• Update on "2. The 'Join the meeting' and 'Join the conference call' links in Outlook 2003."...

This issue actually seems to be occurring ONLY with BlackBerry enabled users.  I contacted RIM support and was told that this is by design.  All calendar items are treated differently than regular messages and are converted to Plain Text.  There is currently no resolution for this.

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 6:33 PM
  • Hi,

great post!

We are also facing a few of the issues in your list...

We will also check with RIM if the problem with the formatting of Live Meeting Links is related to BlackBerry.

Another question:

3.  Scheduling a meeting, making somebody a presenter with Outlook 2003.

Do you have any news on this topic?

I have only ONE user out of thousands who is facing this problem.

(user assigns the presenter role to several persons if she plans a Live Meeting, but as soon as the users join they only have the attendee role - promoting during the session in the console works fine, but she normally doesnt join the meetings...)

The weird thing is that it is working fine on other clients, but not on her client.

Already created a new NT profile, reinstalled Live Meeting several times, reinstalled the machine completely. We even recreated the account on the OCS server.

Any ideas?

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 5:25 PM
  • Thanks for the reply...

FYI on the RIM issue.  I actually received confirmation that a development ticket has been opened, and a fix in progress (no ETA) as others have also reported these issues to RIM:

"This is currently being reproduced internally. We also currently have a Development ticket currently opened to attempt to resolve this issue with a dev build with Microsoft. It does seem that we do change the link to plaintext.

Nothing new on the Outlook 2003 users other than one user's attempts finally started working (nothing changed).  Really wierd and unexplainable at the moment.  Let me know if you find anything... I will post anything new as well.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 5:48 PM
  • Great...Thanks for the info. That's good news. First have to check if this is really only happening for BB users or if we have another issue that's only similar.

I don't think that I will be able to find a solution for the other topic. If nothing else solves it I will request a new client for her. It HAS to be some client issue as it works for her on the PCs of colleagues. But I really don't know what's the cause...

Will feedback if I have news.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 5:58 PM
  • Hi there...

Great post indeed as I'm experiencing all of these quirks.

Adding presenters with Outlook 2003 was fixed with the latest release of the Outlook plugin.  KB957979 has more info on the update and what it fixes.  Unfortunately, there is now way to go back to an existing Live Meeting invite and update the presenters list, very weak.  The Microsoft tech told me we would have to dig into SQL if we wanted to do this and I wasn't about to do that so I had the user resend a new Live Meeting invite.

Now if only they can fix the other quirks reported in this post : ).  DaveTech do you have an article number from RIM that states that this is an issue?  I would like to call them and add myself to the list of users expereiencing this isssue.

Thanks.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:05 PM
  • Hi there eg18... sorry I did not respond sooner... for some reason, I did not get alerted to your posting....

Yes, we have started using the newer add-in for Outlook... working great!

Just to follow up on the Blackberry issue, this is what I received from RIM:

"Software Development Request created: SDR266939. Targeted to 4.1.6 MR4 to address LiveMeeting URL being converted to Plain Text."

NOTE: MR4 was released today.  There is no mention of this SDR in th release notes.

Another issue we would like to see resolved is joining the meeting from webmail (OWA).

Anybody have anything else to add/share?

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 7:00 PM
  •  Thanks for the reply davetech...I contacted BES support and they notified me that SDR266939 is still being worked on for a later release so MR4 does not have the fix.  Hopefully it's coming soon as this is a very annoying problem.
    Friday, February 27, 2009 5:14 PM

• 1. After accepting a Live Meeting or Conferencing request in Outlook 2003

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but this is also an issue with iPhone users.  Seems as though calendar events are turned into plain text, which essentially strips the 'join the meeting' link.
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 1:18 AM
  • FYI... BlackBerry SDR266939 was resolved in BES SP6 MR5.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 6:09 PM