none
Unable to post with IE9 RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to post to the TechNet forums when using Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 (IE9). I had been using it successfully for many months. A week ago or so I lost the ability to move the point into the text box in the editor for new posts or for replies to existing posts. Using Mozilla Firefox 4.0.1 on the same system I am able to type into the editor without any problems. I have tested both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of IE9. I also deleted all browsing history including Temporary Internet files, Cookies, and Form data. "No Add-ons" mode does not work either. TechNet appears to use the TinyMCE editor. One guess is that TechNet recently updated the version of TinyMCE that is embedded in the forums and it contains a bug when used with IE9. Clicking on the toolbar buttons above the text box does not produce any behavior either.

Additionally, I find that the resize handle in the l lower-right of the text box does not work in IE9, although it does work in Firefox. I do not know if this is a new problem or one that has been there for a while.

Test System: Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 (Version 9.0.8112.16421).

• Moved by Mike Kinsman Friday, June 3, 2011 6:35 PM moving to forums issues (From:TechNet Website Feedback)
    Friday, June 3, 2011 5:42 PM

Answers

• I have finally made some progress on this issue. I am now able to post to the TechNet forums with the problematic IE9 instance. I found that disabling IE9's Content Advisor resolved the problem. I had enabled it shortly before noticing the problem with the TechNet forums, however I did not make the connection between the two variables. Resetting IE apparently does not affect the Content Advisor settings, therefore resetting did not affect the TechNet behavior. Additionally, IE does not report any errors or warnings indicating that Content Advisor was having an effect on the TechNet pages. Further, the F12 Developer Tools do not indicate an inability to retrieve any URL resources for TechNet pages. Therefore, it is still a mystery as to which TechNet code is specifically being affected by the Content Advisor.

The bottom line is that with Internet Explorer 9, with Content Advisor enabled, it was not possible to type into the TechNet editor window. With Content Advisor disabled, the TechNet editor works as expected.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:53 PM

All replies

• See if you can start typing in the HTML Source Editor?   E.g. click on the HTML button and then type in that window/tab.   You may have to bypass your popup blocker to use that feature.

FWIW  the above line was done using that procedure.   No HTML required.  I have had to use the same procedure occasionally when editing Quoted replies while using Google Chrome.   In that case what happens is the edited quote leaves me nowhere to add outside the quote, so I have to manually insert a <br /> outside the blockquote element.  Then after Update I can press Ctrl-End and be able to do some non-quoted typing.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, June 3, 2011 10:59 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. I had used the HTML window in the past as a workaround to formatting problems I experienced in the WYSIWYG editor. Unfortunately, with this new problem none of the toolbar buttons perform any action, including the HTML button.
    Friday, June 3, 2011 11:34 PM
  • Unfortunately, with this new problem none of the toolbar buttons perform any action, including the HTML button.

The fact that you can see an HTML button proves that you at least have scripting enabled.   FWIW I just tried setting Security to High (which disables Active Scripting, among other things) and although the buttons disappeared and although a Quoted reply would have had to have been made in HTML mode (who knew?) I could still type in the input field.

Have you tried running in No Add-ons mode?   E.g. start IE by Run...  iexplore.exe  -nohome  -extoff

Also, set your Security to Default Level in all zones.

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Saturday, June 4, 2011 12:41 PM
  • I have verified that "No Add-on" mode did not affect the behavior.

I have also tested on another system having a nearly identical configuration and I am able to use the text box on the second system. Therefore, the problem does appear to be restricted to the specific instance on Test System 1. I'll continue debugging by trying to compare the differences between Test System 1 and Test System 2. I'll take a look at the Security levels. Let me know if you can think of any other variables I should examine.

Test System 1 (Failure):
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 (Version 9.0.8112.16421), Update Versions RTM (KB982861)

Test System 2 (Success):
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 (Version 9.0.8112.16421), Update Versions RTM (KB982861)

• Edited by User 01 Tuesday, June 7, 2011 8:40 PM
    Sunday, June 5, 2011 11:11 PM
  • I have also tested on another system having a nearly identical configuration and I am able to use the text box on the second system.

That opens the possibility of a lot more diagnosis by comparison.   E.g. you could use the Developer Tools, Find tool (F12, Ctrl-b)  to see if the underlying HTML is the same or different.   Other traces may be worth capturing and comparing too.   E.g. you might be able to detect some significant difference in ProcMon traces of the two cases.

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Monday, June 6, 2011 4:09 AM
  • I have the same problem. IE9 on Windows 7.

But it doesn't happen everywhere, for example I can post here.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 11:35 AM
  • @User1 only: Does the behavior persist after you Reset IE Advanced settings & reboot?
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Reset-Internet-Explorer-settings
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 3:28 PM
  • The behavior does persist after using "Internet options -> Advanced -> Reset ..." Vladimir Nicolici reported that he does not see the behavior everywhere. I have seen it on all TechNet forums that I have attempted, however this is not an exhaustive or systematic test. Therefore, I want to add that I am using http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/newthread for testing.
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 8:45 PM
  • I have a similar issue. Using IE 9 on Win 7, I have no toolbar for formatting text, just a text box. I haven't been able to add line breaks recently, so if the formatting is off on this post, I appologize.

I don't have the ability to see a toolbar when creating a new post or replying to a post:

1. On Win Server 2008 with IE 8, I can see the text editing options, and when I reply to a message I don't leave the page.
    2. On IE 9 and Win 7, I am taken to a new page to reply (e.g. http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/fdbd7487-a8c1-4cb9-b0d9-394602e2830e/843f660e-2d67-4fd5-9d1f-f4ba8ea77cc3/reply)

I have tried all the suggestions in this thread. Any ideas?

• Edited by Mchova01 Thursday, June 9, 2011 12:03 AM Fixed formatting using IE 8
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 11:57 PM
  • I have no toolbar for formatting text, just a text box.

As I mentioned I can reproduce that by disabling scripting, e.g. changing the zone's security level from Default to High.

---

Thursday, June 9, 2011 3:18 AM
  • You will find Consumer-specific support for Internet Explorer 9 in this forum: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9 
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 5:00 AM
  • I have no toolbar for formatting text, just a text box.

As I mentioned I can reproduce that by disabling scripting, e.g. changing the zone's security level from Default to High.

---

Thanks for the reply, I read that and my security settings are default. Note: I tried adding http://social.msdn.microsoft.com as a trusted site in IE. At that point I couldn't login or see any text box to reply.

Thursday, June 9, 2011 4:34 PM
  • I have not yet identified the root cause of this problem. I can confirm that running "iexplore.exe  -nohome  -extoff" with Security at the Default Level in all zones does not resolve the issue. Additionally, resetting IE9 does not resolve the issue.

I still need to perform a comparison of the HTML source reported by the F12 tool in the working and non-working IE9 instances. While reviewing the source I did find that the page fails the W3C HTML Validation Service with 44 Errors and 51 warnings.The page also fails the W3C CSS Validation Service with 59 Errors. This is a general problem and these errors and warnings should be addressed by Microsoft. Publishing non-standard code on the TechNet site is not a good practice.

It is also problematic that two different instances of IE9 produce different results. It seems that resetting IE does not really reset IE. Is there a method for fully resetting the state of an IE9 installation?

Using a Debian GNU/Linux system I would perform the following steps to debug this sort of deviation in run-time behavior of instances of the same application on separate machines:

1. Verify the package.
    2. Diff the /etc files that are reported as different between the package and local.
    3. Move the /home/user/.conf files for the application so that they do not affect run-time.

Are there equivalents for these steps in Microsoft Windows 7?

1. How do I verify the installation of IE9 is not corrupted?
    2. How do I verify the system-level configuration had not deviated from the default?
    3. How do I ensure user-level configuration does not affect the run?
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 6:17 PM
  • @User 01 only: You might try the following (especially if a Norton application is or ever has been installed)...

Assuming Win7 64-bit:

1. Download/run the appropriate scripts by my colleague, IE MVP Kai Schätzl: http://iefaq.info/index.php?action=artikel&cat=42&id=133&artlang=en

Tip: The file named ie8-rereg.all.zip contains both of the scripts below.

2a. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar) then right-click on the script named ie8-rereg.32on64.cmd and select Run as Administrator.

2b. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar) then right-click on the script named ie8-rereg.64on64.cmd and select Run as Administrator, then reboot.

3. Reset IE Advanced settings (again) per http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Reset-Internet-Explorer-settings

4. IMPORTANT - DON'T SKIP THIS STEP! => Open Internet Explorer (32-bit only) to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058 [ignore any DOES NOT APPLY warnings] & run the Fix It in DEFAULT and then AGGRESSIVE modes. [1]

5. Reboot one last time & test.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    [1] Full Disclosure: Running the Fix It in AGGRESSIVE mode will delete your Update History but not the list of Installed Updates.

Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 6:40 PM
  • The post "Tinymce not working with Internet Explorer 9.0" in the TinyMCE forums appears to be relevant. TechNet appears to be using the obsolete 3.3.9.3 (2010-12-20) release of TinyMCE. The 3.3 series has been superseded by the 3.4 release, however 3.3 is still maintained and was recently patched to 3.3.9.4 (changelog). It is unclear if this patch would fix the problem but it does address a number of IE9 issues.
    Friday, June 10, 2011 12:12 AM
  • A post from the Joomla site also appears to be relevant, "TinyMCE editor in Internet Explorer 9."
    Friday, June 10, 2011 12:17 AM
  • @PA Bear MS MVP: Thanks for the reference to the scripts from http://iefaq.info. The test systems did indeed have Norton Security Suite installed in the past. It is possible that the Norton Registry Cleaning tool did corrupt the Internet Explorer registry settings. Norton Security Suite has since been uninstalled due to its poor quality.

I prefer to avoid the scripts from http://iefaq.info as they appear to be created as a result of reverse engineering a proper Internet Explorer installation. A more robust solution would be if Microsoft provided a way to verify an installation and report local changes. Since this is a closed-source program I am hesitant to use a verification tool from a third party.

I have uninstalled Internet Explorer 9. I find that the forum is working as expected with Internet Explorer 8.

Friday, June 10, 2011 2:34 AM
  • After the uninstall / reinstall process, Internet Explorer 9 still exhibits the behavior originally reported. It is not possible to enter text in the editor pane using IE9 on the test system.
    Friday, June 10, 2011 2:52 AM
  • [1] It is possible that the Norton Registry Cleaning tool did corrupt the Internet Explorer registry settings.

[2] I prefer to avoid the scripts from http://iefaq.info as they appear to be created as a result of reverse engineering a proper Internet Explorer installation.

[3] I have uninstalled Internet Explorer 9. I find that the forum is working as expected with Internet Explorer 8.

A1. Simply having had the Norton application installed almost certainly caused your problem IMHO. Running the Norton Removal Tool does NOT "undo" the changes made by the Norton application that are causing the behavior.

A2. The scripts on that page (and the website) were created (and updated) by my esteemed & longtime IE MVP colleague Kai Schätzl (who knows a LOT more about IE than I do). Kai's scripts have fixed an infinite number of computers where a Norton application had been installed (cf. http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/e312e580-1cbc-496b-8c6b-b69b8535a7bb). Kai's scripts are so useful that someone "stole" his work & made a utility using them (cf. SF IE Restorator). [1]

A3. IMHO Norton caused your problem. Without running Kai's scripts (exactly per my previous reply), IE9 is never going to work properly unless you do a clean install of Win7 (assuming the clean install does NOT reinstall any Norton free-trialware).

=> The above notwithstanding, this feedback forum is not the proper venue for resolving your problems. Unless a Moderator comes along and moves your thread to a more appropriate forum (e.g., this one), I'll ask you to begin your own, new thread in the Consumer-specific support forum for further assistance. Please include a link to your thread here in your first post in the new forum.

Best of luck to you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    [1] Here are some archived threads where I've successfully helped users fix such problems using Kai's scripts: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/Search/Search?SearchTerm=Kai+Sch%C3%A4tzl+robear&CurrentScope.ForumName=ie&CurrentScope.Filter=&askingquestion=false

=================================
    Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs

Friday, June 10, 2011 10:55 PM
  • Thanks for the reply PA Bear MS MVP.

The timing of events suggests that Norton Security Suite is not relevant to this issue. Norton Security Suite has been installed on both Test System 1 (Failure) and Test System 2 (Success). It was removed many months ago from both systems. IE9 on Test System 1 had been working with the TechNet forums up to a week ago. It is unlikely that Norton Security Suite could have affected the system in a way that only manifests itself in (1) the TechNet forums - all other IE9 behavior is working as expected, and (2) months after Norton had been uninstalled.

The TechNet forums work with at least Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Internet Explorer 8. That is why this thread has been titled, "Unable to post with IE9." The problem appears to be limited to the combination of the TechNet forums, and the TinyMCE editor specifically, with IE9. Therefore it would not be appropriate to move this issue to the IE9 forums. I have not observed any other behavior with IE9 on Test System 1 to indicate that a general IE9 defect is present.

As already mentioned, there are documented issues with the version of TinyMCE that is in use on the TechNet forums and IE9. These have been fixed and released as a new version. Microsoft has yet to deploy these fixes.

The discrepancy between Test System 1 and Test System 2 has not yet been explained but further investigation may yield insight into the root cause. Such effort would be a waste of time if the cause is in the TinyMCE scripts that have already been patched.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 12:30 AM
  • If you need further assistance, please begin your own, new thread in the Consumer-specific support forum.
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 11:20 PM
  • A2. The scripts on that page (and the website) were created (and updated) by my esteemed & longtime IE MVP colleague Kai Schätzl (who knows a LOT more about IE than I do).

I want to add that they are based on the original  IE Repair  procedure in both  IE5 and IE6  until  IE6sp2  came along with its botched  /rereg  implementation  (which would have been just a less robust implementation of the original repair procedure.)   RIES in IE7 was supposed to be a replacement which made /rereg unnecessary (hence why that was removed instead of fixed) but it was later acknowledged that it did not have the same capability.

A problem now is that due to security/obscurity a lot of the regsvr32 support has been removed from many key IE modules, so this repair technique is no longer as effective as it once was.   Security/obscurity has also changed some of the assumptions that Kai's script uses.   For example,   regsvr32.exe  /n  /i  ieframe.dll   is now required in order to do its repair function.   regsvr32.exe  /i  ieframe.dll   is ignored.   You can use  ProcMon  filtering on  Operation Is  RegSetValue  to prove this.

The re-registration procedure that WLMail uses, of applying an .msi file, makes me think that that could be a better way for IE to provide a proper repair for it but if it exists I haven't found it yet.   Something that is on my to-do list is to see if such a feature is part of the implementation for removing IE from the list of components in W7 or for making IE the default browser after switching a different default browser.  FWIW I doubt it.   E.g. why would I need a boot to remove it but not need a boot to add it back?  As for switching default browsers that may not be done completely either.   E.g. I switched to Google Chrome and back but there are still traces of Google Chrome having once been my default browser (such as my Home key on my keyboard still opening GC instead of IE.)

All of this proves that MS have never taken repair of IE seriously and still don't.   They do not document the facilities which might be used for implementing a repair.   So, until either of those problems is fixed, reverse engineering techniques are the only way to provide one.

FYI

Robert
    ---

Sunday, June 12, 2011 3:30 PM
  • I have finally made some progress on this issue. I am now able to post to the TechNet forums with the problematic IE9 instance. I found that disabling IE9's Content Advisor resolved the problem. I had enabled it shortly before noticing the problem with the TechNet forums, however I did not make the connection between the two variables. Resetting IE apparently does not affect the Content Advisor settings, therefore resetting did not affect the TechNet behavior. Additionally, IE does not report any errors or warnings indicating that Content Advisor was having an effect on the TechNet pages. Further, the F12 Developer Tools do not indicate an inability to retrieve any URL resources for TechNet pages. Therefore, it is still a mystery as to which TechNet code is specifically being affected by the Content Advisor.

The bottom line is that with Internet Explorer 9, with Content Advisor enabled, it was not possible to type into the TechNet editor window. With Content Advisor disabled, the TechNet editor works as expected.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:53 PM