Cannot Connect to WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Let me give you some background. A couple of weeks ago I purchased a HP-EX495. I installed it and it was backing up 3 computers (Vista, XP, and Win 7). I added a second 1.5TB drive with relatively no problems. I then started copying (lots of) data to public areas on WHS (Latest Updates, Folder Duplication is On). Working fine. Backups started which really slowed things down so I went to each computer and did a "View Backup" and then canceled it. WHS was still seeming to be plugged up. I was on the WHS Console (w/Win 7) and it was unresponsive. I forced it close and went to bed. Today, things are much worse:

1. The Icon in All of the System Trays is White/Gray indicating no connection.
    2. I've Powered WHS Hardware Down and Up Several Times. No Joy. Lights are solid except for a flickering one on the right side. I think that one indicates a network connection.
    3. It's not showing up on my D-Link 655 Router (on the Status Display).
    4. I powered down/up the Router. No Difference. Everything else is showing up and working with the Router.
    5. I moved the ethernet cable to a different port on the router. Lights up, but no connection.
    6. I ran discovery.exe and it couldn't find the server (which kind of makes sense).
    7. I used a new ethernet cable between the Router and the WHS. Still isn't seen by the Router.
    8. Everything is on a good quality UPS.
    9. MAC Address filtering is Off (as you can tell, I'm desparate).

Help!

Suggestions?

TIA!
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 3:33 AM

Answers

• Well, it's late in the day and this is what I've figured out... before I begin, I want to thank you guys for your suggestions. I believe that I've identified the problem and am proceeding. In my Opinion, the problem was due to my adding a Western Digital Caviar "Green" Drive.

I've learned a great deal about the Windows Home Server as well as the HP EX495. Bottom Line: I lost absolutely everything that I put on the drive. Because all of the data was on other computer systems, I essentially didn't lose anything but a significant chunk of my time. I ended up having to do a HP Factory Reset.

The problem was that the WD Caviar "Green" Drives which, according to HP, spin themselves down and don't properly inform the O/S (or alternatively the O/S isn't smart enough to detect it)... it really doesn't matter. I believe that if you install a WD Green Drive and turn on folder replication (or maybe not), you're in for a long painful time.

There was no hardware problem with the Server itself as we got it from HP. The HP Tech Support varied fairly significantly w/r/t assistance. The first guy I talked to was superb. I learned a great deal about what was what and what to expect.

I thought at one point in time that I'd be able to read from the PUBLIC Shared folders, but alas I was left with "tombstones". The real data was on the Caviar drive (that was worthless).

Take aways from this:

1. Al, you were correct that part of my Shutdown Procedure was in Error. I should have tapped the Power Off Button.
    2. At one point, I was confused because the Drives were not being lit. According to HP, that was because the system doesn't allow the light to show when it's doing some checking of the drives.
    3. When installing the Connector Software for the First time, it's a good idea to be wired in. That's because a backup is initiated as part of the installation process... and the first back can be fairly signifcant.
    4. Download Connector Software from the Server using the Browser. (Slick)
    5. Make d*mn sure you have a good backup.

Once again, thanks to all of you. You gave me food for thought and a good path to follow.

Sincerely,

Steve...
    Sunday, February 7, 2010 4:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    eventually I would try a server recovery as described in the manual of your system.
    If you want avoid this, remove the drives which are currently built in to the HP, mount an empty drive to the bay of the system drive and perform a factory reset.
    The FAQ How to recover data after server failure should help you to recover your data in that scenario.
    Besides that, is there any other system besides the router in your home network, which could have taken the role as DHCP server and assigned an address in a wrong range?
    Did you login via Remote Desktop and install a security suite or changing fírewall settings? (Seems not from your description, but I have to ask).
    Which DNS server/DNS Suffix is configured for the clients? The command ipconfig /all should show you, see the FAQ How to Troubleshoot Network Connection Problems with Windows Home Server.
    UPS is not really supported - i.e. automatical backups have not be done, if clients were connected to an UPS.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 9:59 AM
  • The description you give makes me think you have a hardware problem with your server. If that's the case, only HP will be able to solve your issue for you. Before you contact HP, though, try a different cable to connect your server to the rest of your network.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 3:30 PM
  • Yeah, that's the direction I'm leaning to as well.

I've swapped out cables, I've swapped out routers with no discernable differences. I'm afraid it's either the ethernet port itself -or- some weird condition on the server. While I like the idea of a box that just sits there and works, when it doesn't it is a real pain to debug.

I've worked in the Computer field for over 30 years, but this last month has been absolutely incredibly bad in terms of home computer issues. This is just one of them.
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 5:25 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out the the FAQs and proceed as suggested.

No, I haven't used Remote Desktop to go into the Server. I did use the Add-In option to install AVAST (the version for WHS).

Prior to this problem, I was experiencing weird "File Conflict" messages in the PUBLIC area. To resolve these problems, I simply deleted the files. Could that have possibly caused the problem?

I believe that I read that it won't back up laptops which are running on battery power only.

Regarding the UPS, I was thinking of the fact that the UPS would be supplying me with "clean power" with no major voltage changes. I wasn't thinking of auto-shutdown or restart.

I really appreciate your providing me with a roadmap on how to proceed.

Thanks again,

Steve...
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 5:42 PM
  • Hi Steve,
    deleting files showing file conflicts should not cause issues, but the file conflicts themself can indicate potential issues. (You can find a related FAQ in the WHS FAQ Forum.)
    A UPS will only be detected if they are connected with a data cable to the client, otherwise if you are only connecting with the electrical power cord you will have no related issues.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 8:46 PM
  • 2. I've Powered WHS Hardware Down and Up Several Times. No Joy. Lights are solid except for a flickering one on the right side. I think that one indicates a network connection.
    If this light is flashing your server is still 'starting'.  This includes checking the disks.  With all the powering off and on it will mostly likely be doing a full scan of both drives.  A full scan of 3.0TB of disks could take a very long time.

I suggest powering on your server and waiting until all 3 lights on the MSS bar are lit and the 2 drive lights are solid.

In future try not to power off the server - it should be shut down by momentarily pressing the power button on the back of the server and be left to complete it's shutdown procedure.

Let us know how you get on
    --
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 9:28 PM
  • Well, it's late in the day and this is what I've figured out... before I begin, I want to thank you guys for your suggestions. I believe that I've identified the problem and am proceeding. In my Opinion, the problem was due to my adding a Western Digital Caviar "Green" Drive.

I've learned a great deal about the Windows Home Server as well as the HP EX495. Bottom Line: I lost absolutely everything that I put on the drive. Because all of the data was on other computer systems, I essentially didn't lose anything but a significant chunk of my time. I ended up having to do a HP Factory Reset.

The problem was that the WD Caviar "Green" Drives which, according to HP, spin themselves down and don't properly inform the O/S (or alternatively the O/S isn't smart enough to detect it)... it really doesn't matter. I believe that if you install a WD Green Drive and turn on folder replication (or maybe not), you're in for a long painful time.

There was no hardware problem with the Server itself as we got it from HP. The HP Tech Support varied fairly significantly w/r/t assistance. The first guy I talked to was superb. I learned a great deal about what was what and what to expect.

I thought at one point in time that I'd be able to read from the PUBLIC Shared folders, but alas I was left with "tombstones". The real data was on the Caviar drive (that was worthless).

Take aways from this:

1. Al, you were correct that part of my Shutdown Procedure was in Error. I should have tapped the Power Off Button.
    2. At one point, I was confused because the Drives were not being lit. According to HP, that was because the system doesn't allow the light to show when it's doing some checking of the drives.
    3. When installing the Connector Software for the First time, it's a good idea to be wired in. That's because a backup is initiated as part of the installation process... and the first back can be fairly signifcant.
    4. Download Connector Software from the Server using the Browser. (Slick)
    5. Make d*mn sure you have a good backup.

Once again, thanks to all of you. You gave me food for thought and a good path to follow.

Sincerely,

Steve...
    Sunday, February 7, 2010 4:50 AM