none
Profile user continuously proposing his own answer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I would like to point out below profile of Ibrahim Basha salik.He is continuously proposing his own answer due to which thread is loosing visibility .I have asked him twice but he is not paying any attention.Can some MS folks ask him not to do so.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Profile/ibrahim%20basha%20shaik

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Monday, April 7, 2014 10:32 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I personally dislike when users self-propose, but I don't think there's a rule against it.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 12,830+ strong and growing)

Monday, April 7, 2014 1:55 PM
  • If it was up to me, we would not be able to propose our own posts at all (unless 24-72 hours has passed with no additional posts or something like that).

Perhaps we'll get some sort of reply from a MSFT person with their views on the topic, I'd love to see what the official word is.

Sensible people who actually use the forums have been campaigning against self-propose for years. The forum management knows this perfectly well, but nothing has ever been done about it.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

• Marked as answer by Shanky_621MVP Saturday, May 3, 2014 4:27 PM
    Monday, April 7, 2014 10:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I personally dislike when users self-propose, but I don't think there's a rule against it.

Monday, April 7, 2014 1:55 PM
  • Thanks Mike for responding,

I just want to make sure that a thread gets maximum coverage.If MS guys cannot pay attention to this I guess I cannot do much.I brought it to there notice through this thread .They can politely ask him to please not follow this practice.This is what I want.

Cheers

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Monday, April 7, 2014 2:57 PM
  • If it was up to me, we would not be able to propose our own posts at all (unless 24-72 hours has passed with no additional posts or something like that).

Perhaps we'll get some sort of reply from a MSFT person with their views on the topic, I'd love to see what the official word is.

Monday, April 7, 2014 3:03 PM

Sensible people who actually use the forums have been campaigning against self-propose for years. The forum management knows this perfectly well, but nothing has ever been done about it.

• Marked as answer by Shanky_621MVP Saturday, May 3, 2014 4:27 PM
    Monday, April 7, 2014 10:08 PM
  • You are correct David, Forum Owners are aware.IMO there should be a group which should keep watch on this activity.Like Mike said lets wait form MS folks to reply.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 8:35 AM
  • Ibrahim also proposes other answers as well.

See this Wiki article for the debate:

Whether or Not You Should Self Propose an Answer in an MSDN or TechNet Forum

I like XAML Guy's solution of a 3-day block on self proposing. =^)

Regardless of whether or not you hate it, the feature is "by design".

Ed Price, Power BI & SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Saturday, May 3, 2014 12:53 AM
    Owner
  • Thanks Ed I was waiting for your reply.Problem is not that he proposes other answer ,problem is that whenever he gives an answer most of the time he proposes  it and and some of the time answer it not correct( this is as far as I feel). Please check below thread.List is big i cannot paste each thread

Thread 1

Thread 2

Thread 3

There are many more. Getting answer marked is not a big deal but I strongly feel this should be taken care of it not by changing design then by specifically asking user not to do so.

PS: I don't hate it ,I just pointed it out to as a initiative to make forum better place you wont believe how much thread looses visibility with incorrect proposed answer.

My TechNet Wiki Articles

Saturday, May 3, 2014 4:26 PM

• I like XAML Guy's solution of a 3-day block on self proposing. =^)

I do disike it very much, but if it is to be kept then an N-day block would be an improvement. The bigger N is the better.

Sunday, May 4, 2014 1:01 AM
  • I like XAML Guy's solution of a 3-day block on self proposing. =^)

I do disike it very much, but if it is to be kept then an N-day block would be an improvement. The bigger N is the better.

Same thought here. :)

Dave

Friday, May 9, 2014 5:02 PM