Can't access server shares from Win 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

First post to this forum so please be gentle with me!...

I have a problem that is similar to several others, eg:

http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/whssoftware/thread/21181C11-0AD8-4B36-ABC3-65FC172BB329

Basically, my current home network is down to just two computers connected by ethernet, and a variety of other devices (XBox 360, ipad, phones etc) that can access the network wirelessly.  It has been bigger in the past, with laptops, but we have shrunk it for now.

Everything was working fine until this weekend.

The ADSL modem/router is a D -Link DSL-2740B, set at local IP 10.1.1.1.  It allocates addresses to all the wireless devices by DHCP.  This seems to be working fine as all devices can access the internet wirelessly.

The WHS box ("Monster") stores all our pictures, music, data etc...  It is fully upgraded as far as I can tell, with SP3 etc... it has the Avast anti-virus protection running.  LAN IP address 10.1.1.10.

The Win7 Home Premium box ("Obiwan"), has a nice graphics card (nVidia 460 - latest driver), a speedy cpu etc...  It is used as a general work-station, and to play games.  Again fully upgraded with all Win7 patches.  Anti-virus is Norton 360, firewall is Comodo Pro.  LAN IP address 10.1.1.11.

My username on Monster is "Andrew Turbott".  My username on Obiwan is "Andrew Turbott", as an administrator.  I have a number of the network shares on Monster mapped as drives on Obiwan, under my personal login (M: for music, P: for pictures, etc...).

What works:

1. both machines seem to be running fine
    2. from the command line on Obiwan I can ping Monster at 10.1.1.10 and the connection seems to be fine
    3. I can log into Monster remotely using WHS Console
    4. I can backup Obiwan to Monster
    5. I can see Monster as a network computer from Obiwan

The only thing that doesn't work is that I cannot access the WHS Shares on Monster from Obiwan, as I used to be able to do prior to the weekend.

I hope this is clear, but if I have missed something that might help then let me know.  I'm typing this from a work computer, so do not have ability to give screen shots etc until I go home.

Does anyone have any advice?  Any useful input will be gratefully received,

Cheers,

Andrew Turbott

Andrew Turbott Part-time Geek
    Sunday, March 6, 2011 9:34 PM

All replies

• Have you tried just entering the network path in Explorer like this:

\\Monster\Software\

(That should take you to the network share called Software on the server)

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 6:17 PM