beter... RRS feed

• Question

• is onecare firewall at lest 2times beter than window firewail
    Sunday, August 12, 2007 2:38 PM

Answers

• The One Care firewall monitors both inbound and outbound traffic whereas the Windows firewall only monitors inbound traffic. I don't know if that makes the One Care firewall two times better because outbound filtering isn't nearly as critical as inbound.

Sunday, August 12, 2007 3:26 PM

All replies

• The One Care firewall monitors both inbound and outbound traffic whereas the Windows firewall only monitors inbound traffic. I don't know if that makes the One Care firewall two times better because outbound filtering isn't nearly as critical as inbound.

Sunday, August 12, 2007 3:26 PM
  •  

Hi JimR1

I thought that the Vista firewall is both in- and outbound.

Am I wrong about that ?

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 10:06 AM
  • You're both right to some extent. The Vista firewall supports filtering both inbound and outbound traffic, however, by default it is only configured to block inbound traffic and allow outbound traffic. It's up to the user to manually configure these settings to block outbound traffic in a more stringent way, rather than the automatic alerting and configuration that is supplied by the OneCare firewall.

For a clear and simple explanation of this, see the following article on Microsoft TechNet. It's quite well written and easy to understand.

The Cable Guy - January 2006

The New Windows Firewall in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

OneCareBear

< EDIT > Oops, I made the same mistake, the original poster didn't state a particular OS, so Jim's answer is completely correct assuming the user meant the Windows XP firewall. My answer still applies if the focus was the Windows Vista firewall instead.  OCB

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 6:09 PM