ipod synch with WHS ++ RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i was planning on transferring all of my music from several machines onto the WHS and deleting my music from these machines. I want to keep all music in one place.

So my questions are:

1. Can i update track information when accessing these files from my local machine? I did  quick test run, copied a few files into the music folder on the Server and played them on my local machine but couldn't edit any information.

2. Can i synch my ipod with the WHS?

cheers

Andy
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 4:53 PM

Answers

• beetboy said:

Lara,

No it does not show as \\server\ it shows as c:\documents and settings\...

I have not yet connected my ipod as i want to edit all of the files on the server first before i sync them.

I chose file-> add folder to library. browsed the server and added. Earlier in the thread you mentioned "add new folder". Is that different?

And you don't need to apologise. I am interested in learning

thanks
    Andy

That's really odd. Try mapping the drive using the instructions I listed above. The location will show as your local machine because of the mapped drive but the files will still be on your server.

Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 3:38 AM

All replies

• beetboy said:

Hi,

i was planning on transferring all of my music from several machines onto the WHS and deleting my music from these machines. I want to keep all music in one place.

So my questions are:

1. Can i update track information when accessing these files from my local machine? I did  quick test run, copied a few files into the music folder on the Server and played them on my local machine but couldn't edit any information.

2. Can i synch my ipod with the WHS?

cheers

Andy

Hi,

The iTunes Server feature will not allow you to edit track info, that is correct. However, you can still store your music on the server and use iTunes. The latest release of iTunes allows you to use SMB shares. Once you've moved all your music to your Windows Home Server, simply add the \\<servername>\music\ folder to iTunes via "add new folder" and then start building your playlist. You should be able to edit the track info once you've imported the music.

If for some reason you cannot import the folders, try importing the tracks either by adding them individually (I know this is tedious) or by dragging and dropping groups at a time.

After you've built your playlists, you should be able to sync. Keep in mind, if your server is not accessible and you're set to sync all music, iTunes will remove songs that are not available. i.e. if the server is offline or not connected.

Edit: One more thing, you should sync your iPod with your client and not your Windows Home Server.

Thank you

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 5:33 PM
  • thanks a lot.

So lets say i have 3 machines. I put all music from these machines on the whs.
    I then have to launch itunes on one of these machines, add the serverrname path and edit the data?

When i add the serverrname folder what is this doing? Usually when you add a folder it imports the music to the local machine doesn't it?

thanks
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 7:25 PM
  • beetboy said:

thanks a lot.

So lets say i have 3 machines. I put all music from these machines on the whs.
    I then have to launch itunes on one of these machines, add the serverrname path and edit the data?

If you have your accounts configured properly on your Windows Home Server, you should have full read/write permissions, yes.

beetboy said:When i add the serverrname folder what is this doing? Usually when you add a folder it imports the music to the local machine doesn't it?

thanks

What you are doing is pointing iTunes to a location that is not on your physical machine but on your network/Windows Home Server.

You are not copying the files to your local machine. The only file(s) that should change size should be your library.xml and any individual playlist files you might create. The music will remain in its original location i.e. \\<servername>\music\.  After you import one of the songs, check the info and the location should indicate something like:

\\<servername>\music\artist\album\song.m4p

This is why I cautioned you about connectivity and the possibility of music being removed from your iPod should this path not be accessible when you sync. If the files were copied to your local machine, it would not matter if the server was online or if you were on your local network.

Thank you

• Marked as answer by beetboy Tuesday, September 23, 2008 7:51 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by beetboy Monday, October 13, 2008 12:04 AM
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 7:49 PM
  • Ok. so i added a older from the server to tunesand it copied the music to the local machine.
    it did not, like you mentioned just point to the file on the server.

What am i doing wrong?

cheers
    Monday, October 13, 2008 12:04 AM
  • beetboy said:

Ok. so i added a older from the server to tunesand it copied the music to the local machine.
    it did not, like you mentioned just point to the file on the server.

What am i doing wrong?

cheers

So it does not show the location as \\<server\?

Interesting. I don't see this behavior but different configs. Different behavior :D Sorry to put you through this!

If you clicked on a dialogue box when you synced your iPod, the ipod might have copied the files locally back to the client.  This is an option that's available on the iPhone. I would assume it's available on the iPod now as well. Not saying you did this, simply saying it's possible :D

Try mapping a drive on your client. Since the client will see this as a drive and not a share, it should keep the files where they belong.

Start>my computer>map network drive>type the UNC path

Then in iTunes browse to the name of the mapped drives in the add folder dialogue. The unfortunate thing is that you will need to remove the older files from iTunes. Do you have an old library you can revert to? This should save you time.

Thanks
    Monday, October 13, 2008 12:13 PM
  • It sounds like you are importing files from your server to the local machine.  You want to do the opposite and change the file path of where Itunes looks for the music.  To ensure that Itunes is looking for the music on the server, you could delete all of the existing musinc in the Ituens library from the local machine and add it again from the file path on the server.  This should accomplish the goal that you want. 

You can do this by dragging and dropping the new files to the folder you want.  Be warned that this will take some time if you have a large amount of music.  Just make sure that before you delete any music from the local machine it has been copied successfully to the server.

Monday, October 13, 2008 1:03 PM
  • Lara,

I have not yet connected my ipod as i want to edit all of the files on the server first before i sync them.

I chose file-> add folder to library. browsed the server and added. Earlier in the thread you mentioned "add new folder". Is that different?

thanks
    Andy
    Monday, October 13, 2008 9:35 PM
  • beetboy said:

Lara,

thanks
    Andy

That's really odd. Try mapping the drive using the instructions I listed above. The location will show as your local machine because of the mapped drive but the files will still be on your server.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 3:38 AM