MSF: Syncronizing files from a file system with files from a DB RRS feed

• Question

•  

I need to synchronize some files from the client side, which are stored in a file system with some files from the server side, which are store in a database server.

As far as I've seen there is a Sync Services for Files Systems and another one for ADO.NET, but I miss the information when it comes to mix these two(e.g. my case where I have file -> DB synchronization).

Can anybody give some idea about what/how it needs to be implemented?

Thank you in advance!

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Thursday, April 21, 2011 10:22 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Technical Discussion [ReadOnly])
    Tuesday, November 13, 2007 2:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Reka,

Yes, I think the Sync Services for File Systems is a good solution to your implementation.  What I would do is start out with the NTFS sample that is included in the download of the Microsoft Sync Framework which shows how to synchronize files from one directory to another.  From this, you can tweak it to point to the database (where I assume the files are in blobs) and then exchange the files as needed. 

In this sample the metadata (which is the change data) is stored on files and you can continue to implement it that way where the metadata files will be stored on the client machine, however, you might decide to tweak your system for performance by implementing this change data into the database on the server side and automatically update the change data as files are updated in the database.  That way when the client synchronizes to the database everything will go much quicker since the change data has been pre-updated.

I also should mention that Sync Services for ADO.NET is really meant for database to database synchronization (right now it exchanges datasets between providers) which is why I don't think it is the best solution for your scenario.

I hope that helps.

Liam

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 7:37 PM