Most Relevent (Home) Page Is Only Page Not Indexed, Makes No Sense RRS feed

• Question

•  

Without explaining to me page relevence guidelines, can anyone explain why Live Search's algorythm would exclude my home page, which is by far my most relevent, content rich, most technically well built and most often linked to page on my site?  There are 80 pages on my site, 63 0f which have been indexed by Live Search and yet the page that has ten times more relevent content than any other page is not indexed.  It is one of only three pages given a 1.0 priority in my sitemap.  Google and Yahoo place this page everywhere in their serps.   Because this page is the only page that would logically be placed in the top 10 (as Google and Yahoo place it), as far as I can see, my site does not appear in Live Search serps except when site name is querried.     

My site is  Solenaro Designs, http://solenarodesigns.com .  A querry of "siteTongue Tiedolenarodesigns.com" will verify this info. 

One other question.  Why does the actual number of indexed pages differ from the number of pages that Live Search "Web Results" number indicates when a site querry is made?  The number of indexed pages that Live Search indicates for my site is 63 and yet only 55 apear.      

Friday, January 4, 2008 2:03 PM

Answers

• Fair enough. 

The answer is as I have posted in other threads. Our website ranking is completely automated. The Live Search ranking algorithm analyzes factors such as web page content, the number and quality of websites that link to your pages, and the relevance of your website’s content to keywords. The algorithm is complex and is never human-mediated.  Keywords is only one of many factors, content is another, links and structure of the site are a third; and yes there are more! 

So back to your site...

When I look at your site and the data and also ran queries against other engines for the name of your site solenarodesigns.com you perform well in Yahoo and Google, but not in Live.  I agree that when you enter sitename.com if the site is in the index it should appear. I have shared this feedback with the relevancy team. This has to be done right.

Our index has billions of docs, but there are limitations to its depth not every site will make it in. As we grow we want to get more and more of the best content and sites in, but rank will always qualify sites.  I try to offer you work arounds and hints so that if you want to you can optomize your site, but I feed the problems captured here back into the rest of the team, so when we launch another major change or hope is that you see improvements where we should be doing something better. Note: These changes don't happen overnight. 

I appreciate the level of thoughtfulness of you and others in this audience have had and if there is help you want or need in tuning your site for this engine I will be glad to share what I can.

Jeremiah

Saturday, January 5, 2008 1:25 AM

All replies

• Solenarodesigns2

It is true that your site is ranking low in Live Search, specifically your homepage.  While I think there are probably a few things in terms of link building and SEO for your homepage that could be done I think the biggest challenge for live with your site is navigation.

I know you don't care for the guidelines, but one thing we talk about is optomizing your site navigation and the navigation for your site may be causing issues. Just looking at your site and what is indexed as well as the links you have coming from other sites, other pages seem to be performing better.

Couple of things I found when I looked at your sitemap that concern me. The page you have listed with 1.0 priority is h.o.html, which when I follow it takes me to something other than your homepage; for the horsemans outlet. This site seems to rank better than the homepage as and it is linked to from each of the individual pages.  This is not the same as the page that loads when I type in SolenaroDesigns.com.  Is there also a link to your homepage, like www.solenarodesings.com/index.htm?   This may be part of the issue... This was a bit unusual that is why I bring it up.

I am still looking at your site and will recommend something else if I can figure out what the challenge is.

As for the 55 to 63 disparity it is possible there is cached or duplicate pages that are causing the disparity.  I wish I could promise you 100 percent coverage, but we don't guarantee that nor could we for anyone.

Jeremiah

Friday, January 4, 2008 7:12 PM
  • Dear Jeremiah,

Thanks for looking at the issue.

Every page on my site is linked to http://solenarodesigns.com/Horse_Jewelry_Home.html , the home page.  I'm sure that you noticed how much relevent content there is...1100 words, 500 unique, all relevent to my key words, site description, page title and content on the other pages.  It is sooo content rich it makes my competition want to throw up.  The page is 8 months old and is the page found in "other" serps more often than any other page, many page one.

Here's the kicker.  The page you found, http://solenarodesigns.com/H.O.html  , is a test page (thats why there is no descent file name) I built 2 weeks ago for another customer's site and has absolutely no relevence to either my key words or to any content that is on my site.  None of the navigation worked until this morning when I decided to establish a link between my "real pages" and this test page just to get it indexed by the other serps.   I highly doubt that Live search crawled that page and indexed it today.  Also, notice that there is almost no real information except 2 or 3 sentences at the page bottom.  The rest is broken words with no syntax, proper grammar or organization.  The page has absolutely no relevence, every Search Engines #1 priority.

I appreciate your investigation of the issue.  If you take a hard look at the content on my home page and consider that every page on the site does point to it, common sense tells anyone, when one can see the forest for the trees,  that it has to be the highest ranked page on the site.  

And understand this Jeremiah.  These are not complaints or pleas to get Live Search to help me rank highly in their serps.  I Have given up on the idea that Live Search is important for my site.  The other serps that have me where I believe I belong (very highly ranked) make me happy.  I post here and contact you for the reason I believe the Tools beta was supposedly launched; to discuss Live Search serp, index, crawl, etc. issues in an attempt to create and improve a set of tools that can help you and I create a successful way to help the directory improve itself.  Once I think Live Search actually "works", then I'll start complaining and asking for help.  For now I only ask for explainations to things that seem to make no sense hoping I can get around the "issues" and to make Live Search aware of those issues I encounter hoping it will help to improve the Tools.

Thanks,      

Friday, January 4, 2008 11:15 PM
  • Fair enough. 

The answer is as I have posted in other threads. Our website ranking is completely automated. The Live Search ranking algorithm analyzes factors such as web page content, the number and quality of websites that link to your pages, and the relevance of your website’s content to keywords. The algorithm is complex and is never human-mediated.  Keywords is only one of many factors, content is another, links and structure of the site are a third; and yes there are more! 

So back to your site...

When I look at your site and the data and also ran queries against other engines for the name of your site solenarodesigns.com you perform well in Yahoo and Google, but not in Live.  I agree that when you enter sitename.com if the site is in the index it should appear. I have shared this feedback with the relevancy team. This has to be done right.

Our index has billions of docs, but there are limitations to its depth not every site will make it in. As we grow we want to get more and more of the best content and sites in, but rank will always qualify sites.  I try to offer you work arounds and hints so that if you want to you can optomize your site, but I feed the problems captured here back into the rest of the team, so when we launch another major change or hope is that you see improvements where we should be doing something better. Note: These changes don't happen overnight. 

I appreciate the level of thoughtfulness of you and others in this audience have had and if there is help you want or need in tuning your site for this engine I will be glad to share what I can.

Jeremiah

Saturday, January 5, 2008 1:25 AM
  • Thank you again for your response.  I did not mean to dismiss your suggestions.  As always they are welcome.

You must realize however that it would be an unreasonable risk for any webmaster to optimize for the number 3 search engine when the site is already ranking well in the serps of engines 1 and 2.  

Hopefully Live Search will continue to reduce the number of problems it is having with its algo.  When the fear of not being indexed and ranked in a logical and competitive fashion is gone, maybe I will begin to optimize for Live Search.  I really believe that this should be Live Search Priority #1...don't try to seperate itself from the Google approach so much (in an attempt to brand itself) that the requirements necessary to get ranked make it detrimental to a sites ranking with the other engines.  This is what is happening!  I read it between the lines of every post in this forum and when I compare serps.  Google and Yahoo render relatively similar results.  Live Search results are remarkably different.  If Live Search happens to believe that this is a good thing, it is in my opinion, dead wrong.  It will be a disaster if the optimization of sites needs to be different just for Live Search ranking.  No one will care about your engine and it will fail.  Your team needs to make its algo work in a way that people can have confidence in and then your engine will grow to become a leading competeter.  Then I will make changes with Live Search in mind.  Until then, I optimize and make changes with Google and my customers in mind, not Live Search.

Respectfully,
    Saturday, January 5, 2008 5:26 PM