Changing the CD-Key - Non-Genuine copy RRS feed

• Question

• WGA has told me that I have a non-genuine copy of Windows. I bought this computer off a friend of mine who had set it up for me and I don't actually have a clue what Windows is on here, but I don't like the idea that I could have a pirated copy so I would like to fix it up as soon as possible.

Through my University I have a copy of Windows through the MSDNAA. I was going to install it on my laptop instead, but I would much rather use it on my PC as to have a genuine copy. I tried following the instructions on the Microsoft site to change the Product Key for Windows XP, but when I entered the key given through MSDNAA i was told it was incorrect and that I must have typed it wrong, but the key is the one I was given.

My question is

a) Should this happen? Is there some reason why my MSDNAA Product Key shouldn't work?

b) Is there a way I can get it to work without having to re-install Windows XP which is a real pain?

c) Should changing the Product Key to this one which i know is valid make my XP copy genuine? Or will I also have to wait for the promised program under development to validate it with the Product Key?
    Friday, August 4, 2006 8:15 AM

Answers