Office Communicator 2007 Client only one user shows phone number RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Support,

I have a question about the phone numbers that are displayed in the communicator. Until a couple of months ago we used the phone numbers with all our contacts in the communicator. Until a couple of months ago we started to get calls from people that the numbers are not displayed with the users in the communicator. Now nobody has numbers in the communicator. But al my collagues have 1 user, for example user10, who has his phone number still in the communciator.

I added the registry setting to a client to dump the Galcontacts.db to a CSV file. Only that user10 has an phone number in the field: Work Phone Number.

How do i get al numbers back in the communicator again? Al numbers are populated in AD.
    Friday, July 3, 2009 12:07 PM

Answers

• Take a look at these related articles to get a better understanding of the Address Book process.  There are various places that an incorrect configuration could cause numbers to not display, either by incorrect normalization (or lack of) or by not matching E.164 formats correctly, in some cases.

http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=17
    http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=26
    http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=47
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Friday, July 3, 2009 12:57 PM
  • Have you downloaded the Resource Kit Tools?
    If not, do so and use ABSConfig application included in there.
    Give us some feedback about your settings in both "configure attributes" and "configure WMI" tabs,
    especially "Which users...", "which value ..." and "normalization rules ..."

It happended to me once, that "normalization ..." was set to 'apply only company ...' while i had not set up any normalization rules and so no numbers would show up.

Finally the failed normalization file is lovated in %ocs_setup_dir%\Web Components\Address Book Files\Files
    It's the "Invalid_AD_Phone_Numbers.txt"
    In that folder you should see the "Sample_Company_Phone_Number_Normalization_Rules.txt" and if you have created one, there will be the
    "Company_Phone_Number_Normalization_Rules.txt" that includes the normalization rules that are needed to normalize AD phone numbers.

Regards
    George
    Monday, July 27, 2009 6:32 PM
  • Generally this is all around normalization. OCS has to see the number from AD in a certian format. you can use the abserver command to see what is being normalized and how OCS will see it. Basically OCS will only show the number if it has been normalized to e.164 format.

So the blogs above that Jeff shertz talks about will really help I see this problem often and trust us, most of the time it is a normalization issue. So i recommend you follow his blog and see if it helps. It could take 24 hours after you make the changes to the company_normaliztion file for the client to see the affects unless you go through and delete the galcontancts.db after running the abserver.exe -regenur and abserver.exe -syncnow.

Hope that helps.
    Mitch Roberson |MCITP:Enterprise Server Admin, Messaging |MCTS:OCS with Voice Achievement |MCT
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 12:13 PM

All replies

• Are all phone numbers for the users listed in this file?
    Invalid_AD_Phone_Numbers.txt

Then you need to add normalization rules to the Addressbook service to translate phone numbers correctly
    Company_Phone_Number_Normalization_Rules.txt

you can create your own by copying the Sample_Company_Phone_Number_Normalization_Rules.txt and adapting the normalization rules
    - Belgian Unified Communications Community : http://www.pro-exchange.be -
    Friday, July 3, 2009 12:13 PM
  • I cannot find that file. Where should it be located?
    Friday, July 3, 2009 12:55 PM
  • Take a look at these related articles to get a better understanding of the Address Book process.  There are various places that an incorrect configuration could cause numbers to not display, either by incorrect normalization (or lack of) or by not matching E.164 formats correctly, in some cases.

http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=17
    http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=26
    http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=47
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Friday, July 3, 2009 12:57 PM
  • I don't think it has anything to do with the normalization rules. On user has a phone number in de communicator client. But all users have their number entered in AD the same way. If it's about normalization the other number should not be displayed either right?

Any one else how has an idea? 

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 2:24 PM
  • Any special security settings (ACL) on phone numbers?
    The Addressbook account must be able to read all of these AD attributes
    - Belgian Unified Communications Community : http://www.pro-exchange.be -
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 4:18 PM
  • the one user that it worked for may have put it in them selves manually from the client. I would find that file, and also look for another text file that gives you failed normailzation numbers. Jeff blogs listed above explains a lot of it.

Where did you specifiy for the location of the Address book files. If you do not remember the location should be available in the OCS console when you high lite the pool object look at the screen on the right and expand address book settings. find the location of the address book files. Look for 2 text files. one of them will be invalid ad phone numbers.txt if you have that file then numbers are not being normalized correctly
    mitch
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 5:30 PM
  • Anyone else some tips?
    There is no failed normalization numbers log file. And the one user that had his phone number displayed has also disapeared...
    Monday, July 27, 2009 2:58 PM
  • Have you downloaded the Resource Kit Tools?
    If not, do so and use ABSConfig application included in there.
    Give us some feedback about your settings in both "configure attributes" and "configure WMI" tabs,
    especially "Which users...", "which value ..." and "normalization rules ..."

It happended to me once, that "normalization ..." was set to 'apply only company ...' while i had not set up any normalization rules and so no numbers would show up.

Finally the failed normalization file is lovated in %ocs_setup_dir%\Web Components\Address Book Files\Files
    It's the "Invalid_AD_Phone_Numbers.txt"
    In that folder you should see the "Sample_Company_Phone_Number_Normalization_Rules.txt" and if you have created one, there will be the
    "Company_Phone_Number_Normalization_Rules.txt" that includes the normalization rules that are needed to normalize AD phone numbers.

Regards
    George
    Monday, July 27, 2009 6:32 PM
  • Generally this is all around normalization. OCS has to see the number from AD in a certian format. you can use the abserver command to see what is being normalized and how OCS will see it. Basically OCS will only show the number if it has been normalized to e.164 format.

So the blogs above that Jeff shertz talks about will really help I see this problem often and trust us, most of the time it is a normalization issue. So i recommend you follow his blog and see if it helps. It could take 24 hours after you make the changes to the company_normaliztion file for the client to see the affects unless you go through and delete the galcontancts.db after running the abserver.exe -regenur and abserver.exe -syncnow.

Hope that helps.
    Mitch Roberson |MCITP:Enterprise Server Admin, Messaging |MCTS:OCS with Voice Achievement |MCT
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 12:13 PM
  • Oke this is what i did.

I deleted all phone numbers on all users in AD. After that did a abserver -regenur en after that the syncnow command so i can begin with a clean sheet.
    With the ABconfig tool on the Configure WMI tab i set the Normalization rule: Apply only generic built-in normalization rules.

Applied changes.

Waited a couple of minutes for all the eventlog items to appear.

Then i added telefoon number to one user in the correct format according to the KB article below.
    Forced a user replication with the abserver -regenur command. The following event log items appeared.

==================================================================
    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: OCS User Replicator
    Event Category: (1009)
    Event ID: 30027
    Date:  30-7-2009
    Time:  10:04:44
    User:  N/A
    Computer: SRV-xxx11
    Description:
    User Replicator has started initial synchronization of domain xxxx.nl (DN: DC=xxxx,DC=nl) and the database. Initial synchronization occurs when Office Communications Server is started for the first time, or a regenerate operation is initiated.

Event Type: Warning
    Event ID: 30019
    Time:  10:04:46
    Computer: SRV-xxxx11
    Description:
    One or more attributes for a user were incorrect in Active Directory domain:xxxxx.nl
    The user with these attributes has DN:CN=Service account Backup Exec,OU=Service accounts,OU=Users,OU=xxxx,DC=xxx,DC=nl
    These incorrect attributes cannot be updated in the database:The pool DN that was specified for a user is invalid.  This typically means that the given pool DN attribute could not be resolved to a valid FQDN.  This attribute has been ignored.
    pool DN Active Directory attribute name:msRTCSIP-PrimaryHomeServer
    pool DN Active Directory attribute value:CN=RTC Services\0ADEL:afaccfcd-ab69-4f8f-bd99-7d5666184d59,CN=Deleted Objects,DC=xxxx,DC=nl

Event ID: 30024
    Time:  10:04:47
    Description:
    User Replicator has completed initial synchronization of domain xxxx.nl (DN: DC=xxxxx,DC=nl) and the database.  Future synchronization for this domain will occur as changes are made in Active Directory.

Event ID: 30028
    Time:  10:04:47
    Computer: SRV-xxxxx11
    Description:
    Address book (AB) entries are populated successfully during UR initial cycle for domain xxxx.nl (DN: DC=xxxx,DC=nl).

Number of objects examined :
    Number of objects included :
    Number of group objects excluded since they do not have a valid email attribute:
    Number of objects excluded since they have "hide from AB" attribute set to 'TRUE':
    Number of objects excluded since they have "exclude from AB" attribute:
    Number of objects excluded since they do not have any of the required attributes:
    Number of objects excluded since they do not have "include to AB" attribute:

The force a sync with abserver -syncnow

Event Source: OCS Address Book Server
    Event Category: (1008)
    Event ID: 21005
    Time:  10:10:44
    Description:
    Synchronization pass started.

Event ID: 21007
    Description:
    Synchronization pass completed successfully.

Files written:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007\Web Components\Address Book Files\Files\F-0c3c.lsabs with 50 contacts. (18.327 bytes compressed to 5.204 bytes)
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007\Web Components\Address Book Files\Files\D-0c3b-0c3c.lsabs with 1 new/updated contacts, 0 deleted contacts. (1.858 compressed to 844)

Event ID: 21056
    Description:
    Synchronization Pass Summary.

Number of organization units: 1
    Number of Full files written: 1 with 50 total contacts
    Number of Delta files written: 1 with a total of 1 new/updated contacts and 0 deleted contacts.
    Number of bytes written: 20.185 compressed to 6.048 bytes on disk.

Event ID: 21007
    Description:
    Synchronization pass completed successfully.

Files written:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007\Web Components\Address Book Files\Files\F-0c3c.dabs with 36 contacts. (5.428 bytes compressed to 2.244 bytes)
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007\Web Components\Address Book Files\Files\D-0c3b-0c3c.dabs with 1 new/updated contacts, 0 deleted contacts. (1.284 compressed to 679)

Event ID: 21058
    Description:
    Synchronization Pass Summary for Device Address Book files

Number of organization units: 1
    Number of Full files written: 1 with 36 total contacts
    Number of Delta files written: 1 with a total of 1 new/updated contacts and 0 deleted contacts.
    Number of bytes written: 6.712 compressed to 2.923 bytes on disk.

Event ID: 21004
    Description:
    Next synchronization pass will start at:

31-7-2009 1:30:00
    ================================================================

Then on the client i closed the communicator client. Deleted the galcontacts.db file and started the OCS client again. The new galcontacts.db file was created but the user that i added the phone number to still doesn't has a number in the communicator...

I can't figure out what's wrong...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/961947

Thursday, July 30, 2009 8:49 AM
  • Anyone??
    Friday, August 7, 2009 7:31 AM
  • OK so that all looks correct and even looks like 1 contact updated. In some cases I have had to wait 5 min after the commands ran then do the delete galcontacts.db and restart the client.
    Friday, August 7, 2009 8:28 PM
  • ok. So you seem to have gone through the process correctly.
    However, i had a case on an installation, where "changing" (not adding) phone numbers in AD properties, would take a quite long time to replicate towards the client side.

In trying to resolve this now, i would suggest the following :

1) In ABSconfig tool :
      a) In Configure Attributes, check "Use normalization rules ..." under the "Which value of the phone ..." part
      b) In Configure WMI, check "Apply both ..." under "Normalization Rules"
      c) Create the Company_Phone_Number_Normalization_Rules.txt in the "%ocs_dir%\Web Components\Address Book Files\Files" folder and type the following two lines in it :
         \+(\d*)
         $
       This will allow any number configured in AD starting with a "+" to be normalized, and thus included in the AB user database.

After this, run -regeUR and -SyncNow again (ALWAYS wait at least 5 minutes between steps) and then delete galcontacts.db and resync the client.

If you have no success, try running
    dbanalyze.exe /report:user /user:usera@domainb.com >c:\file.txt
    to export user data directly from the AB database and check if your normalized number is included in the contact's info.

If the correct data appears in the exported file, give the system some more time to refresh/update and check back again, without doing any further forced resynving and/or settings modification.

Hope this helps you out.

Regards
    George

Friday, August 7, 2009 8:48 PM