Plugin Messages - How to fire a plugin for a 1:N relationship? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all -

I've gotten the routine down for firing a plugin when one entity record is attached to/detached from another where the relationship involved is an N:N relationship, using the Associate and Disassociate plugin messages.  The same sort of logic does *not* work where the relationship type is a 1:N relationship.

No error message - simply, nothing happens! 

How to fire a plugin when a record is associated using a 1:N relationship?  The logic I'll need to use will be very similar, so that won't be difficult.  Just can't get the ball rolling.

Thanks!

Rusty

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 6:56 AM

Answers

• Hi Rusty,

Suppose you are adding a Contact to an Account's 1:N relationship, you need to register a plugin on the Create and Update of the Contact entity and look for changes to the parentcustomerid field.

So, there isn't a specific message step to register, the asspciate/disassociate just looks like an Update to the child record.

hth,

Scott

Scott Durow
    Read my blog: www.develop1.net/public
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

• Marked as answer by RCisney Tuesday, August 14, 2012 7:31 AM
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 7:14 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Rusty,

Suppose you are adding a Contact to an Account's 1:N relationship, you need to register a plugin on the Create and Update of the Contact entity and look for changes to the parentcustomerid field.

So, there isn't a specific message step to register, the asspciate/disassociate just looks like an Update to the child record.

hth,

Scott

Scott Durow
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

• Marked as answer by RCisney Tuesday, August 14, 2012 7:31 AM
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 7:14 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks, Scott.   I'll check that out.  So, create/Update on the "N" entity of the relationship. 

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 7:21 AM
  • Yes, that's right.

Scott Durow

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 7:26 AM
    Answerer
  • Scott - that did the trick. 

Thanks for the tip.

Its always good to know there is a community of users surrounding Dynamics CRM, that you can *usually* get a question answered from some corner of planet earth 24/7...   :)

Have a great day.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 7:30 AM