UK users - Gaier MSMoneyQuotes RRS feed

• Question

• Having purchased this, I am trying to figure out how best to automate downloads for UK equity / Funds. I can download a FT file effectively but wondered if I can automate it. 

Sunday, March 26, 2017 11:07 AM

Answers

• Can't help you with the batch file, but may be able to assist with importing from MSN for UK funds.  My wife and I between us have some 40 plus shares, OEICs and Investment Trusts,the prices for all of which we import into Money using Gaier MSMOney Quotes with no difficulty.  Check the symbols you are allocating to your holdings. Typical format for a share/IT would be GB:AZN( for Astrazeneca); OEICs have a different format eg GB:GB00B7LDLC53 for Schroder US Smaller Cos.  I am using MS Money version 14.0.120.1105 running under Windows 10.  Hope this helps.
    • Marked as answer by finwizzard Thursday, March 30, 2017 4:38 AM
    Wednesday, March 29, 2017 3:03 PM
  • I don't use auto update.  Are you meeting the following requirements?

-a option:

If -a is specified, then MSMoneyQuotes will stay open and automatically update quotes every 15 minutes while Money is open. MSMoneyQuotes will automatically close when Money is closed.
    To use the -a option, you should do one of the following:

1. Use both the -o and -a options together to ensure Money is running when MSMoneyQuotes runs.– OR –
    2. If you use -a without -o, then make sure Money is open before MSMoneyQuotes is run. Or at least run Money within 10 seconds of running MSMoneyQuotes. If you don’t have Money running then MSMoneyQuotes will exit after 10 seconds.
    • Marked as answer by finwizzard Wednesday, April 5, 2017 7:48 PM
    Thursday, March 30, 2017 11:51 AM

All replies

• Can you define "automate"? What, exactly are you trying to achieve that Gaier does not do for you?
    Tuesday, March 28, 2017 5:37 PM
  • One problem I find is that I cannot import prices from MSN Money for UK Funds. Alternatively, a much preferred option is to create a Batch (*.bat) that will import from ft.com portfolio - renames the *.csv file to, say, results.csv. I can then run the MSMoneyQuotes with i option to import. Problem is that I am having difficulty creating the appropriate Bat file.
    Tuesday, March 28, 2017 5:46 PM
  •  Finance::Quote::FTfunds   is a Perl module. I don't know if it is working. It would require somebody to write some Perl and do the access and create the CSV file, if it even works. The Perl language is not totally dissimilar to Python, but there are major syntax differences.

You can invoke a Perl program in a batch file, just as you can invoke a Python program or MSMoneyQuotes.exe.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=%20%20Finance-Quote-FTfunds

See #19 near the bottom of https://gaiersoftware.com/Money/DetailsAndHelp

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 7:39 PM
  • Can't help you with the batch file, but may be able to assist with importing from MSN for UK funds.  My wife and I between us have some 40 plus shares, OEICs and Investment Trusts,the prices for all of which we import into Money using Gaier MSMOney Quotes with no difficulty.  Check the symbols you are allocating to your holdings. Typical format for a share/IT would be GB:AZN( for Astrazeneca); OEICs have a different format eg GB:GB00B7LDLC53 for Schroder US Smaller Cos.  I am using MS Money version 14.0.120.1105 running under Windows 10.  Hope this helps.
    • Marked as answer by finwizzard Thursday, March 30, 2017 4:38 AM
    Wednesday, March 29, 2017 3:03 PM
  • Very grateful for this informative response. The key was the security symbols for MSN Money! However, I have some observations to make.

In Money Portfolio view, Money will not accept “:” character (GB: GB:AZN / GB:GB00B7LDLC53). However, for equities and Funds, leaving out “GB:” this works for me (AZN / GB00B7LDLC53). Also, for Investment Trusts, I have to use PCT:LSE (which Money shows as PCT-LSE). This way all prices update.

I have only tried for one day. Let us see how it continues. Am I correct to assume that the prices can be updated as many times as possible whilst the London Exchange is open.

Thursday, March 30, 2017 6:40 AM
  • I have not noticed any restriction on the number of updates each day or over any shorter period.  As a matter of interest, what version of Money are you running and what operating system?
    Thursday, March 30, 2017 8:43 AM
  • Interesting that your symbols need to be different from mine.  I guess this is down to your version of Money or maybe it is the US rather than UK version?

(Good choice, PCT, by the way :))

Thursday, March 30, 2017 9:02 AM
  • I am using Deluxe version 17.0.120 - Windows 10.

Are you using the auto update mode for MSM Quote? Mine does not seem to work with -a switch.

Thursday, March 30, 2017 9:17 AM
  • Long story but I used to work in US in the past and used (still do) US version with local currency as GBP. Maybe that explains the symbols as you say.
    Thursday, March 30, 2017 9:22 AM
  • I don't use auto update.  Are you meeting the following requirements?

-a option:

If -a is specified, then MSMoneyQuotes will stay open and automatically update quotes every 15 minutes while Money is open. MSMoneyQuotes will automatically close when Money is closed.
    To use the -a option, you should do one of the following:

1. Use both the -o and -a options together to ensure Money is running when MSMoneyQuotes runs.– OR –
    2. If you use -a without -o, then make sure Money is open before MSMoneyQuotes is run. Or at least run Money within 10 seconds of running MSMoneyQuotes. If you don’t have Money running then MSMoneyQuotes will exit after 10 seconds.
    • Marked as answer by finwizzard Wednesday, April 5, 2017 7:48 PM
    Thursday, March 30, 2017 11:51 AM
  • Many thanks! I will try it.
    Thursday, March 30, 2017 12:26 PM
  • Thanks a lot. Tried the -a and -o options and they work a treat! :)

Friday, March 31, 2017 9:43 PM