FTP Sync Adapter RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone built a sync adapter for FTP yet? I've been meaning to build this but haven't had time yet.

Any pointers on doing this?

Thanks!

--

Bryant

Thursday, November 6, 2008 12:53 AM

Answers

• By the way, if you are looking for something to bootstrap the development you might consider checking out CTP1 of our v2 which contains extra support for writing simple providers that need to enumerate the contents of a store to detect changes.

Cheers,

Michael Clark

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 5:54 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately a FTP provider is not avaialble out of the box. I am thinking you would have to have that provider hosted by a service.
    Monday, November 10, 2008 6:59 AM
  • I know it isn't there OOTB, but why would it have to be hosted by a service? Couldn't you just write an adapter that would be just the same as the File Adapter but would send the commands to an FTP server? I wrote a WCF sample adapter back in the Sync 1.0 beta and it seems like you could do the same thing but use FTP.

Am I missing something?

Monday, November 10, 2008 9:49 PM
  • You could certainly write this from a client side perspective.  There are two interesting questions to me.  The basic one is making sure that you had a reasonable level of change detection from the FTP service.  Can you get enough information to reliably determine if the file has changed. 

The second questions is where do you want to store the sync metadata.  If you have the situation that the client endpoints will never sync with anything other than the FTP server then it could be reasonable to store the sync metadata on the clients and treat them each as individual sync relationships.  If the clients could sync with others (particularly other clients), then you would want to figure out some other place to store the sync metadata for the FTP service that is accessible to all clients.  You can certainly still do this from the client side however in this case it might be better as Mahesh suggested to have some service side support for sync that would consolidate the interaction with the metadata.

Cheers,

Michael Clark

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 5:51 PM
  • By the way, if you are looking for something to bootstrap the development you might consider checking out CTP1 of our v2 which contains extra support for writing simple providers that need to enumerate the contents of a store to detect changes.

Cheers,

Michael Clark

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 5:54 PM