none
What the better database use with VB .NET? RRS feed

• Question

• HI. 
    Im going to do an software that use the GUI and database. i have been used the SQL server and Microsoft Access. But, i want to know what the best or better database use with the VB .NET. And also I dont know what the different between SQL database, SQL server and Microsoft Access.
    Thursday, April 9, 2020 8:08 AM

Answers

• Hello,

There are many reasons to use SQL-Server over MS-Access, we could write volumes on why SQL-Server is a wise choice, here are some reasons in no particular order. In some cases SQL-Server may be considered cost an issue which is dependent on it's used yet features can easily trump cost.

• Security model is more robust in SQL-Server than Access, from Windows authentication to various ways to setup users and roles.
    • Performance, without do much performance is better with SQL-Server.
    • Real Stored procedures
    • Database/Table functions
    • Larger amount of storage capacity.
    • Excels working with large data
    • Works across operating system platforms
    • SSMS (SQL-Server Management Studio) is a free tool to interact with all facets of SQL-Server.
    • SQL-Profiler, a tool to assist with optimizing performance
    • Backup/Restore functionality, much greater in features in SQL-Server
    • Entity Framework support for SQL-Server, Access is only supported with Entity Framework Core which has a heavy footprint while Entity Framework 6 has a light footprint.
    • There are several levels, local light weight engines to local server to Azure based.
    • Built in support to work with databases across servers.
    • In some cases customers e.g. federal government, larger corporations have security requirements which MS-Access are not capable of so databases such as SQL-Server and Oracle may be the sole choices.

With those points, there is still a place for MS-Access, small low count of users applications. I've worked in and still work with companies that have Microsoft Access working well but only with constant maintenance while SQL-Server typically database admins generally only do daily automated backups as the majority of SQL-Server databases in the organizations generally are dealing with hundreds of thousands of records daily were customers are across the country. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

• Marked as answer by J_97 Friday, May 22, 2020 4:22 PM
    Thursday, April 9, 2020 10:18 AM
  • Hi JOHN_97,

Thank you for posting here.

Based on my research, Microsoft Access is used in home or small business applications, it is cheaper than Microsoft SQL Server and requires less database administration.

Microsoft SQL Server is for medium to large businesses that need a solution for better data processing, it can handle much larger amounts of data than Access.

You need to be based on your situation to choose the suitable database.

Best Regards,

Xingyu Zhao

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by J_97 Friday, May 22, 2020 4:24 PM
    Friday, April 10, 2020 1:48 AM
  • The most used  databases in big companies for large amount of data are SQL Server, ORACLE, Sybase
    • Marked as answer by J_97 Friday, May 22, 2020 4:23 PM
    Monday, April 27, 2020 12:03 PM
  • The most used  databases in big companies for large amount of data are SQL Server, ORACLE, Sybase

According to Stack Overflow Developer Survey 2018 the top ten databases are:

1. MySQL
    2. SQL Server
    3. PostgreSQL
    4. MongoDB
    5. SQLite
    6. Redis
    7. Elasticsearch
    8. MariaDB
    9. Oracle
    10. Microsoft Azure (Tables, CosmosDB, SQL, etc)

According to DB-Engines Ranking - popularity ranking of database management systems the DB-Engines top ten rankings are:

1. Oracle
    2. MySQL
    3. Microsoft SQL Server
    4. PostgreSQL
    5. MongoDB
    6. IBM Db2
    7. Elasticsearch
    8. Redis
    9. SQLite
    10. Microsoft Access

See Sybase - Wikipedia. That indicates that Sybase does not currently exist as a product with that name.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Monday, April 27, 2020 4:16 PM

All replies

• Hi John,
    SQL database and Microsoft Access are file-oriented systems and are used in single-user applications. SQL server is the better solution for multi-user applications, i.e. multiple clients (users) access the same data.

--
    Best Regards / Viele Grüße
    Peter Fleischer (former MVP for Developer Technologies)
    Homepage, Tipps, Tricks

Thursday, April 9, 2020 10:00 AM
  • Hello,

There are many reasons to use SQL-Server over MS-Access, we could write volumes on why SQL-Server is a wise choice, here are some reasons in no particular order. In some cases SQL-Server may be considered cost an issue which is dependent on it's used yet features can easily trump cost.

• Security model is more robust in SQL-Server than Access, from Windows authentication to various ways to setup users and roles.
    • Performance, without do much performance is better with SQL-Server.
    • Real Stored procedures
    • Database/Table functions
    • Larger amount of storage capacity.
    • Excels working with large data
    • Works across operating system platforms
    • SSMS (SQL-Server Management Studio) is a free tool to interact with all facets of SQL-Server.
    • SQL-Profiler, a tool to assist with optimizing performance
    • Backup/Restore functionality, much greater in features in SQL-Server
    • Entity Framework support for SQL-Server, Access is only supported with Entity Framework Core which has a heavy footprint while Entity Framework 6 has a light footprint.
    • There are several levels, local light weight engines to local server to Azure based.
    • Built in support to work with databases across servers.
    • In some cases customers e.g. federal government, larger corporations have security requirements which MS-Access are not capable of so databases such as SQL-Server and Oracle may be the sole choices.

With those points, there is still a place for MS-Access, small low count of users applications. I've worked in and still work with companies that have Microsoft Access working well but only with constant maintenance while SQL-Server typically database admins generally only do daily automated backups as the majority of SQL-Server databases in the organizations generally are dealing with hundreds of thousands of records daily were customers are across the country. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

• Marked as answer by J_97 Friday, May 22, 2020 4:22 PM
    Thursday, April 9, 2020 10:18 AM
  • Relational databases will serve you well. With that in mind, I'd suggest either PostgreSQL if you're looking for open source or Microsoft SQL Server. More specifically for both, I'd go to Azure and use the platform as a service offerings there for either PostgreSQL or Azure SQL Database.
    Thursday, April 9, 2020 11:40 AM
  • Hi JOHN_97,

Thank you for posting here.

Based on my research, Microsoft Access is used in home or small business applications, it is cheaper than Microsoft SQL Server and requires less database administration.

Microsoft SQL Server is for medium to large businesses that need a solution for better data processing, it can handle much larger amounts of data than Access.

You need to be based on your situation to choose the suitable database.

Best Regards,

Xingyu Zhao

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by J_97 Friday, May 22, 2020 4:24 PM
    Friday, April 10, 2020 1:48 AM
  • SQL database is not a specific product.

See Considerations for server-side Automation of Office for an explanation for why you should not use Access for an application to be used by many users. Access is inappropriate for use when the database is to be shared among many users simultaneously.

SQL Server is the only choice among Microsoft offerings.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Sunday, April 12, 2020 8:23 PM
  • Hi JOHN_97,

Did you solve your problem? If your question has been answered then please click the "Mark as Answer" Link at the bottom of the correct post(s), so that it will help other members to find the solution quickly if they face a similar issue.

Best Regards,

Xingyu Zhao

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, April 16, 2020 8:09 AM
  • John,

I think that everybody here has given a useful answer to your question. 

However, words as best and better don't exist if you don't tell for what you want to use the subject. 

Of course persons can start whole discussions about what is better or best and sometimes make jokes of it.

What would you say if I was asking as an anology

What is the best or better vehicle

Success
    Cor

Thursday, April 16, 2020 9:26 AM
    Monday, April 27, 2020 12:03 PM

According to Stack Overflow Developer Survey 2018 the top ten databases are:

1. MySQL
    2. SQL Server
    3. PostgreSQL
    4. MongoDB
    5. SQLite
    6. Redis
    7. Elasticsearch
    8. MariaDB
    9. Oracle
    10. Microsoft Azure (Tables, CosmosDB, SQL, etc)

According to DB-Engines Ranking - popularity ranking of database management systems the DB-Engines top ten rankings are:

1. Oracle
    2. MySQL
    3. Microsoft SQL Server
    4. PostgreSQL
    5. MongoDB
    6. IBM Db2
    7. Elasticsearch
    8. Redis
    9. SQLite
    10. Microsoft Access

See Sybase - Wikipedia. That indicates that Sybase does not currently exist as a product with that name.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Monday, April 27, 2020 4:16 PM
  • thank you everyone for reply my question.
    Friday, May 22, 2020 4:25 PM