none
Windows 8/Windows 2012 Beta Exams RRS feed

• Question

• I received the MCP newsletter a few days ago saying the beta exams are open to the public.  My understanding is the beta exams were always FREE.  However when I attempt to sign up for them Prometric wants $150 to register.  Does anyone know if this is a mistake or are they charging full price to take a beta exam?
    Friday, June 22, 2012 1:50 PM

Answers

• You purchase the exam at Prometric, and when you reach the payment page, you enter the special discount code for the beta exam, and then you get a 100% discount so that the exam is free for you. The codes are sent to the different collectives that get invited to the beta exams; it is unlikely that you will find the discount code in the MCP newsletter unless they decide to open the beta for everyone.
    Friday, June 22, 2012 2:02 PM
  • Beta exams are always free.  As Alberto stated though, you need a code to sit beta exams for free.  Sometimes codes are released on the Born to Learn website http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/ and Sometimes they're only released to certain individuals (MVP, MCT and other community based. 

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Saturday, June 23, 2012 3:11 AM

All replies

• You purchase the exam at Prometric, and when you reach the payment page, you enter the special discount code for the beta exam, and then you get a 100% discount so that the exam is free for you. The codes are sent to the different collectives that get invited to the beta exams; it is unlikely that you will find the discount code in the MCP newsletter unless they decide to open the beta for everyone.
    Friday, June 22, 2012 2:02 PM
  • They did open the beta to everyone.  It appears as though they are charging the same price for the BETA exams as the regualr ones.  Who in their mind would pay full price for a BETA exam.  C'mon Microsoft, offer it for free.
    Friday, June 22, 2012 3:02 PM
  • It looks like they 'opened' it everyone, but aren't comping the price.

I doubt they'd offer it for free - simply for the fact that it counts as a proper certification if you pass.

Friday, June 22, 2012 3:30 PM
  • Where I can find those beta exams?
    Friday, June 22, 2012 6:55 PM
  • Beta exams are always free.  As Alberto stated though, you need a code to sit beta exams for free.  Sometimes codes are released on the Born to Learn website http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/ and Sometimes they're only released to certain individuals (MVP, MCT and other community based. 

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Saturday, June 23, 2012 3:11 AM