Can Ping, Can Remote In, Can Backup, But Cant Access Shares With Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

Im going crazy over here trying to figure out what has happened to my home server shares shortcut. I'll provide some detail.

Windows 7 Pro, can ping my server and popcorn hour. However, in the network browser, they dont show under computers but they do show under media devices. The media devices will not let me stream though. They did show and let me browse under "computers" until my internet went out around 3 weeks ago, and I switched providers. I can remote in and use everything fine. I can use the console. My popcorn hour can see both machines and stream from them via samba. I have static ip's on all machines.

When I attempt to choose the shortcut to my whs shares, I get a 0x80070035, network path not found. If I try it from the console I get cant open. Please check access permissions. I have the same username and password for my whs and w7 machine.

Ive tried enough fixes that Im worried about overdoing it. Homegroups, ipv6 enable/disable, netbios ove tcp, etc. The only other thing I noticed is that there seems to be a lot of packet activity on my w7 machine. Maybe errors?

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Tony

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 11:13 PM

Answers

• Just to give a minor update, I did finally end up reinstalling this past weekend. I did all of the updates, plus reinstalled a majority of the programs I normally use. Everything is working great.

I obviously never did figure out what the issue was, but Im sure it was a conflict in a program somewhere.

Thanks for the help everyone

Monday, July 26, 2010 1:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Everyone,

Im going crazy over here trying to figure out what has happened to my home server shares shortcut. I'll provide some detail.

Windows 7 Pro, can ping my server and popcorn hour. However, in the network browser, they dont show under computers but they do show under media devices. The media devices will not let me stream though. They did show and let me browse under "computers" until my internet went out around 3 weeks ago, and I switched providers. I can remote in and use everything fine. I can use the console. My popcorn hour can see both machines and stream from them via samba. I have static ip's on all machines.

When I attempt to choose the shortcut to my whs shares, I get a 0x80070035, network path not found. If I try it from the console I get cant open. Please check access permissions. I have the same username and password for my whs and w7 machine.

Ive tried enough fixes that Im worried about overdoing it. Homegroups, ipv6 enable/disable, netbios ove tcp, etc. The only other thing I noticed is that there seems to be a lot of packet activity on my w7 machine. Maybe errors?

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Tony

Can you successfully ping your server, both by name and by IP address?
    Saturday, June 26, 2010 5:51 PM
  • No, only by ip address, not by name.

To add a twist, I used my server to restore an image from early June that I knew worked. Once that is restored, everything worked fine. I've read thats a dns issue if you can ping by ip but not by name, but my settings havent changed at all in 2+ months. Once it updates (a java update, flash update, and windows update are all needed), I go back to the same issues. So I turned all updates off. Firefox wanted to update yesterday and I let it.

Once that happened, I noticed that I couldnt browse my server any longer, but the shares shortcut would still work. Assuming that my shares wouldnt work once I restarted my main computer, I tried anyway. From there, I lost my network shares again. I can continue to restore the image, but I cant nail down why I lose the shares link access.

Sorry - I'll definitely respond a little quicker next time

Monday, June 28, 2010 1:11 PM

To add a twist, I used my server to restore an image from early June that I knew worked. Once that is restored, everything worked fine. I've read thats a dns issue if you can ping by ip but not by name, but my settings havent changed at all in 2+ months. Once it updates (a java update, flash update, and windows update are all needed), I go back to the same issues. So I turned all updates off. Firefox wanted to update yesterday and I let it.

Once that happened, I noticed that I couldnt browse my server any longer, but the shares shortcut would still work. Assuming that my shares wouldnt work once I restarted my main computer, I tried anyway. From there, I lost my network shares again. I can continue to restore the image, but I cant nail down why I lose the shares link access.

If it's the updates that are causing it, you should try installing each update one at a time (starting with the Windows updates) and see if you can determine which update is causing it.
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 4:29 AM
  • Please check the FAQ How to Troubleshoot Network Connection Problems with Windows Home Server.

It is showing up various aspects of how name resolution is working. Since Windows 7 prefers to use DNS, a wrong configured router plus a wrong answer from a DNS server in the Internet may mislead name resolution. Also a previously entered hosts entry.

If you login to your server desktop and click the shortcut Shared Folders on Server, do those work here?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 7:59 AM

If it's the updates that are causing it, you should try installing each update one at a time (starting with the Windows updates) and see if you can determine which update is causing it.

Thats my plan tonight. Restore the image again, and try 1 by 1 with the updates. I have a feeling that may not be it though. I say that because I hadnt applied any updates after thinking it may be it, but then after updating only Firefox, I lost it. 
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 8:36 PM
  • Thanks for the response. I am going to try the hosts file, because I hadnt tried that one yet. I have tried most of the other things listed in the FAQ though. I mustve read over that one the first time I read through it.

I can login to my server desktop, but unfortunately, my shared folders still dont work.

EDIT: I tried the hosts file, didnt seem to work. However, I can now ping the server via name. Still get the network path not found when I attempt to access shares though :(

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 8:40 PM
  • Is there any firewall other than Windows Firewall active on the client or the server?
    If so, try uninstalling it (disabling might not be enough in some cases). 3rd party firewalls have an infamous history of being the reason for strange network problems.

What happens, if you access a shared folder directly, i.e. via Start/Run \\yourservername\Software ?

Olaf

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 6:18 AM
  • Is there any firewall other than Windows Firewall active on the client or the server?
    If so, try uninstalling it (disabling might not be enough in some cases). 3rd party firewalls have an infamous history of being the reason for strange network problems.

What happens, if you access a shared folder directly, i.e. via Start/Run \\yourservername\Software  ?

Olaf

I only have windows firewall running on both machines, and I have eset antivirus on both machines as well. Ive already tried disabling both...no luck.

when I try the path directly from the run I get 0x800704cf, network location cant be reached.

This time Im using a restored image that was working. I rebooted just to make sure, and it was working. I totally shut it down for around 4 hours, and when I turned it back on, I had lost the shortcut. Im getting really close to doing a fresh windows 7 install on a separate hard drive

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 4:03 PM
  • Just to give a minor update, I did finally end up reinstalling this past weekend. I did all of the updates, plus reinstalled a majority of the programs I normally use. Everything is working great.

I obviously never did figure out what the issue was, but Im sure it was a conflict in a program somewhere.

Thanks for the help everyone

Monday, July 26, 2010 1:20 PM
  • I had a very similar problem.

It's fixed now! So I would bet it should work for you...

Try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903267/en-us

Apply the manual fix recommended by Microsoft (not the "Fix it" patch) by editing the registry db.

After restart everything should work perfectly.

Friday, September 7, 2012 12:01 AM