Permissions to view a Particular user RRS feed

• Question

• We have a parent BU(org level) and many sub BU with user permisiions to operate parent-child BUs. But I want to have a user in our organization which should be available to every user from any BU can view that user and can assign case to that user. Please explain how can we manage this
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 7:54 AM

Answers

• Yes - the sharing won't work.

You'll need to:

1. Create a new Business Unit along side the other business units and call it something like 'Shared Users'

2. Add the special user to that business unit

3. Create a Team called Shared User Team (don't use the automatically created one for the business unit) - set the Business Unit of the team to be the 'Shared Users' Business Unit

4. Create a special role that has only 'Business Unit' access on Users and assign it to the Team.

5. Add all the users that you want to have access to the Special User into the team

This works because the users in the team are effectively acting as though they are the team and so they can see the users who belong to the same business unit as the team.

hth,

Scott

Scott Durow
    Read my blog: www.develop1.net/public     Follow Me on Twitter
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

• Marked as answer by DynamicsCRM Friday, October 12, 2012 11:32 AM
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 1:41 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

So if I understand you correctly, the issue is that you can't make a single user available to all BU's because that users would need to be in every BU due to the 'Parent Child BU' read/append/append-to privileges. Obviously, a user can only be in a single BU, so hence your problem. Is this correct?

If so, then I think the easiest option for you would be to share this special user with all the teams that were created for each of your Business Units. Give Read/Append/Append-To privileges on the share. 

Update: This won't work - see below!

hth,

Scott

Scott Durow
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:00 AM
    Answerer
  • What does it mean Give Read/Append/Append-To privileges on the share. ?
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 11:22 AM
  • Hi,

Actually - you can't share user records with other users, so you'll need to take a different approach:

Having re-read your question, I don't think I actually understand fully what you are after. You might be better off using a different approach and assigning the records to a Team rather than an individual user.

Could you provide more details.

Scott

Scott Durow

Thursday, October 11, 2012 12:01 PM
    Answerer
  • U understood problem right but I didnt undtand the solution you gave. As Sharing is not available for users. So please explain the solution you gave above
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 12:41 PM
  • Yes - the sharing won't work.

You'll need to:

1. Create a new Business Unit along side the other business units and call it something like 'Shared Users'

2. Add the special user to that business unit

3. Create a Team called Shared User Team (don't use the automatically created one for the business unit) - set the Business Unit of the team to be the 'Shared Users' Business Unit

4. Create a special role that has only 'Business Unit' access on Users and assign it to the Team.

5. Add all the users that you want to have access to the Special User into the team

This works because the users in the team are effectively acting as though they are the team and so they can see the users who belong to the same business unit as the team.

hth,

Scott

Scott Durow

• Marked as answer by DynamicsCRM Friday, October 12, 2012 11:32 AM
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 1:41 PM
    Answerer
  • ok let me try it
    Friday, October 12, 2012 11:07 AM
  • wohoooo it worked..thanku so much...hope it does not disturb security privilages anywhere else
    Friday, October 12, 2012 11:32 AM