none
SQL Server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• On the SQL Server Cert page:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-sql-server.aspx#tab2

under MCTS tab, it has Exams 70-432, 70-433, 70-448

under MCITP tab, it has Exams 70-450, 70-451, 70-452. It also has a "prerequistie" of what is apparently the first set of exams.  (I searched "prerequisite", and saw some people saying prerequisite is different than requirement, but still not sure what they meant)

My question is, just using the 70-432/70-450 as an example, aren't they the same thing?  Or is the 70-450 more detailed and in-depth?

And, if anyone has recommendations for books for 70-432, 70-433, 70-448, I'd appreciate them.  Reviewers didn't like the MS Press book for 70-432 on Amazon.

Just getting back to certifications again after quite a few years, it Doesn't appear that there are as many books as there used to be for Certification training?

Steve

Sunday, June 12, 2011 7:38 PM

Answers

• My question is, just using the 70-432/70-450 as an example, aren't they the same thing?  Or is the 70-450 more detailed and in-depth?

No, they are not the same thing. 70-432 is the "TS" exam, which deals with questions of the kind "what do you have to type or where do you need to click to achieve a specific result". In other words, the "how". On the other hand, 70-450 is the "PRO" exam, which deals with "why and when you would want to achieve that result".

If you want to achieve the MCITP certification, you need to pass both exams, in any order, although most people would choose to take first 70-432, which gives you a MCTS certification.

• Marked as answer by SteveW295 Monday, June 13, 2011 3:40 PM
    Sunday, June 12, 2011 7:48 PM
  • Hmm. I only know the 70-433 self paced training book and it was quite good. But I cannot say anything about the 432 self paced training kit because I never read it. (But the self paced training kits I was able to get my hands on was all ok or good!)

The PRO exams are normaly not that based on technology. If you check the 70-433, you will find, that all is about basic technical stuff. (How to send emails from SQl Server, how to do the correct group by select, how to ...) The PRO wants to know more about startegies and when to do what. If you look at the skills measured, you will see the difference.

One thing I had with the 433 self paced training kit: It expects already some know how. It is not a "SQL Queries for starters" or so. But there are a lot of books about Transact-SQL available that are not based on the exam. But that shouldn't be important, because the exam is for people who already have experience!

With kind regards,

Konrad

Sunday, June 12, 2011 7:55 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• My question is, just using the 70-432/70-450 as an example, aren't they the same thing?  Or is the 70-450 more detailed and in-depth?

No, they are not the same thing. 70-432 is the "TS" exam, which deals with questions of the kind "what do you have to type or where do you need to click to achieve a specific result". In other words, the "how". On the other hand, 70-450 is the "PRO" exam, which deals with "why and when you would want to achieve that result".

If you want to achieve the MCITP certification, you need to pass both exams, in any order, although most people would choose to take first 70-432, which gives you a MCTS certification.

Sunday, June 12, 2011 7:48 PM
  • Hmm. I only know the 70-433 self paced training book and it was quite good. But I cannot say anything about the 432 self paced training kit because I never read it. (But the self paced training kits I was able to get my hands on was all ok or good!)

The PRO exams are normaly not that based on technology. If you check the 70-433, you will find, that all is about basic technical stuff. (How to send emails from SQl Server, how to do the correct group by select, how to ...) The PRO wants to know more about startegies and when to do what. If you look at the skills measured, you will see the difference.

One thing I had with the 433 self paced training kit: It expects already some know how. It is not a "SQL Queries for starters" or so. But there are a lot of books about Transact-SQL available that are not based on the exam. But that shouldn't be important, because the exam is for people who already have experience!

With kind regards,

Konrad

Sunday, June 12, 2011 7:55 PM
    Answerer
  • Ok, thanks Alberto & Konrad, that answers my questions.

Steve

Monday, June 13, 2011 3:41 PM