Will this build work? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All my name is Ryan and I just joined up after reading this great forum.

I want to build this home server, which I am sure you have all seen, it will have two 750GB drives in it.

http://www.homeserverhacks.com/2008/07/379-windows-home-server.html

Also, I want to build it with this PCI card installed.

http://www.addonics.com/products/host_controller/adsa3gpx8-4e.asp

This will allow me to build by own DAS 8TB storage device (or use something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817332017) to attach. I want this thing to handle at least 12TB maybe more.

Any thoughts on what I will need to defenitely make this happen? I will be mostly streaming music and video to only 1 PC and an extender.  I am a newbie when it comes to servers but I have built PCs and if this is a totally ridiculous concept then please bare with me. Also, the reason I want a small form factor server with a large DAS attached is because of noise and heat I dont want to shove everything in one huge case.

Any help would be great! Thanks all!
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 3:30 PM

Answers

• IMO, you would be better off with more internal drive bays, fewer external bays, and a larger case with better cooling. You'll probably find that quieter than the equivalent in external multibay drive enclosures, which are often very loud. Cooling many TB of drives isn't going to be silent no matter what reasonable steps you take to reduce noise, however.

Other than that, if the HBA you've linked has appropriate drivers available, I don't see a real problem with the idea.
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 4:24 PM

All replies

• IMO, you would be better off with more internal drive bays, fewer external bays, and a larger case with better cooling. You'll probably find that quieter than the equivalent in external multibay drive enclosures, which are often very loud. Cooling many TB of drives isn't going to be silent no matter what reasonable steps you take to reduce noise, however.

Other than that, if the HBA you've linked has appropriate drivers available, I don't see a real problem with the idea.
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 4:24 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response Ken! I would use a large case with lots of fans and cooling and would build my own External Drive Enclosure use Addonics Port Multipliers....if I decided to do that. The thing is I want to start out small and then expand. So I would build an External Driver with say two 5 in 3 backplanes and then expand as time went on. I guess maybe it would make sense just to build one large server....

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 4:46 PM
  • lol well... if u want a giant server like mine Smile i would suggest a custom case or somting that will hold ton of 5.25 bays and then use hot swap hard drive bays
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817122109
    or u could do alot of 3.5 in bays but its not worth it IMO to deal w/ those thats y i have hot swap
    then use the motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131189
    somthing like this
    this i calculated would be able to hold 28 tb using 4 onboard sata then each pci and pci express slot each holding 4
    only the unfortunate side of this is ..it doesnt support raid Sad no raid 5 ftl
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 7:08 AM
  • thats kind of what im doing right?
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 2:00 PM
  • No. I have the feeling you may still be shy some power connectors. The Supermicro controller is a PCI-X controller, and the motherboard doesn't have any PCI-X slots, only PCI-e. There could be some additional issues, but that's what jumps out at me.

Are you certain that A) you need 15 TB of storage, and B) that you want to take on building this level of storage server yourself? I don't get the impression you've built a lot of computers in the past.
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 3:35 PM
  • I have built only one computer, but it is a beast. Also, what gives you that impression? I have never built a server before. 

I own over a 1000dvds and if keeping all material (menus, extras. etc...) average 7GB plus i want to start archiving lots of TV records from my tuner. That means at the start I will need at least 8TB and because i know i am going to want more than that at somepoint i figure it easier to have 15 bays and add TB drives later as I Need them. my only challenges seem to be air circulation which i think i can  handle with a big case and better fans and risk of loss with no RAID. am i missing some really big issue that is going to arise? Also, a PCI-X card will work in a regular PCI slot it just wont perform as well.
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 4:08 PM
  • I'm not so concerned with PCI-X/PCI interoperatbility as with physical clearance. I can't tell where components are on that motherboard and a PCI-X card will hang over the PCI slot it's inserted into...

I'm not saying you don't have a reason for wanting a huge server. but I'm concerned that you haven't considered all the scaling factors. The more "stuff" you put in on place, the more important it is that that one place be as secure/reliable as possible. I admire your vision, though. Smile
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 5:12 PM
  • OK so what is my best option then?
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 5:20 PM
  • Heh. That is the $64 question. I can tell you what I do, but in the end you'll have to draw your own conclusions.

My attitude is that, if a disaster happens and I lose my server, as long as I've got my DVDs I'm golden. So I have a server large enough to hold my DVDs in a useful format (maybe VIDEO_TS or .iso, maybe a compressed format that preserves good quality for the main feature and abandons the extras). I don't worry about duplication for this data; instead I dump a couple of copies of everything off to something with good long-term archival properties (not an external hard drive) for convenience in a less-than-total disaster. I should, but don't, store my DVDs in a separate secure location that would protect them from any likely diaster they might face. (Fire and theft are all that come to mind.) I treat music pretty much the same way, except that I keep everything lossless in that case.

For other data that has a greater immediacy (for example, my stock photograph collection and my business records) I use duplication, and store multiple copies off-site. I also back the server shares up weekly and store that off-site, minus music and video, which don't change all that often.

Overall I have a much smaller collection than you apparently do; I have around 350 DVDs, only about 50 of which are ripped at this time. I have a couple of thousand CDs, however, almost all of which have been ripped.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't go ahead and build a giant server. I'm really asking if you've thought through all the possibilities. For example, do you actually need to have all 1,000 DVDs online? Probably not; if you're anything like most people, you have a few dozen favorites that you could watch over and over again. You shouldn't let me dissuade you, however. You should let me talk you into taking a step back, and a deep breath, and figuring out what are requirements, versus desirements. You may find yourself with a much smaller server in the end. A smaller server will be less expensive, it will consume less power (24/7), it will break less frequently, and I think it will still hold the stuff it actually needs to. Or you may realize you need 24 TB of storage next month. Smile
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 8:23 PM
  •  

I researched your board and the pci expansion cards that you showed and they will not work with the motherboard. 1 being all consumer boards. the pci slots are only 32 bit so there is no way you are going to get those cards to work 2 they just wont physicaly fit

still i think you should get somthing like this. doesnt have to be the exact one because this one give you the ability to expand with a bunch of PCI and PCI 1x slots each pci / 1x slot would be able to hold min 2 sata hdd and expandability to go up. as i said above i already have a server with 10 and i could up grade it to 18 max with each PCI /PCI 1x holding 2 if they held four i could have a 28 tb server. and that is with this mobo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131189

Thursday, August 14, 2008 1:24 AM
  • I do believe some 32/64 bit cards will work as I have an Adaptec 39160 in one of my boxes (Abit NF7).  See this link.

See Here

jd

Thursday, August 14, 2008 4:34 AM
  • thanks David can i ask you the rest of the specs of your 10 drivebuild?
    Thursday, August 14, 2008 2:26 PM
  • my whole sys specs are
    8 gb of ddr2 pc5300 ram i think the brand was hynix it was very cheap w/e it was
    a quad core q6600 with stock cooling
    i have asus p5k se
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131189 (the link)
    i have a cheap cheap case off newegg that was like 30 bucks it has 8 3.5 bays and 6 5.25 bays
    my psu is what i had laying around in my parts which its a 250 watt. i dont know that brand but its held out pretty long so far (IMO i would get somthing bigger than my 250 min like 500 recommed like 600 because when i turn my computer on i can hear the psu squeal in this high pitch noise to barley keep up w/ the power demands) and yes i know i should upgrade it but what can u do
    i have a nvidia 7300 256mb video card. it was one laying around so i fig i mightas well use it
    i have 2 x 120 mm fans one in the bac one in the front blowing on the hdd them selfs. well the ones in the 3.5 in bays
    then i have an assortment of hard drives which is
    1 hitach 500gb
    4 1tb western digital
    3 1tb segate
    1 500gb western digital
    2 500gb segate

(seagate FTW!)
    i have all of my 1 tb drives except one in the hot swap drive bays that u can buy on new egg for like 14 bucks each their nice but they do make the overall drive 30 degress hotter but it is very nice when a drive fails u turn a key pop it out then pop a new one back in.  luckily ive only had to do that once
    then i have a misc raid cards  1 pci x 1x and one reg pci. all my 1 tb i have on raid 5 except one so it goes
    3 1tb drives = raid 5
    3 tb drives = raid 5
    3 500gb = raid 5
    1 tb drive
    i actually jus added another 500gb today because im super paranoid of data loss so i jus wanted to make that raid 5
    another thing ...the only bad thing about the mobo which i didnt think of it at the time was it does support raid. and i no not everybody understand its but honestly its not that hard to setup so if your doin alot of movies which it sounds like you are i would highly highly recommend that

this is considered my low end server about ^^
    here is my other powerful one that i dumped way to much money into
    Custom intel server mother board 1500 bucks ftl
    custom case
    quad- xeon 3.0ghz quad core processors ( yeah thats right four)
    1200 watt PSU
    32 gb of
    Kingston Hyperx DDR3 PC3 13000
    3x 10k rpm 300gb raptor for os in raid 5
    10x sata wester digital 1tb hard drive all in raid 5's
    gigabit lan x2
    15x hot swap hard drive bay enclosures ( i love them )
    nvidia 7300le 512mb

Saturday, August 16, 2008 3:37 AM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    No. I have the feeling you may still be shy some power connectors. The Supermicro controller is a PCI-X controller, and the motherboard doesn't have any PCI-X slots, only PCI-e. There could be some additional issues, but that's what jumps out at me.

Are you certain that A) you need 15 TB of storage, and B) that you want to take on building this level of storage server yourself? I don't get the impression you've built a lot of computers in the past.

the actual question is who doesnt need 15tb of storage!!! mu ha ha ha! Smile
    Saturday, August 16, 2008 7:17 AM